1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

24" rear wheel question

i was wondering, i have a kona scrap and i'm thinking of putting a 24'' wheel at the back.
    in doing this, would i be able to put a longer travel fork or less travel?
    Last edited by branden12369; 04-28-2007 at 09:02 PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    It will slacken the headtube angle unless you throw a 24" wheel on the front as well.

But probably not more than a degree...and I doubt even that much

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    haha, i worded that wrong

mtbr member
    By putting a 24" rear wheel in the back you will slackin your headtube angle and you will have a lower bottom bracket hight (might be a good thing or a bad thing) and the bike will accelerate faster.

Although with the 24" rear wheel it will be a bit harder to roll over larger objects like rocks and roots.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by branden12369
    i was wondering, i have a kona scrap and i'm thinking of putting a 24'' wheel at the back.
    in doing this, would i be able to put a longer travel fork or less travel?
    You will slacken the head tube angle, which is the same effect putting a longer travel fork on it would have. You'll also lower bottom bracket heigh, which will make the bike more stable at speed, but less able to jump/hop well.

Don't put a long travel fork on a scrap, it's pointless. The quality of the travel matters, not the quantity. Putting a longer travel fork on the bike voids it's warranty, puts stress risers on the headtube and it's welds and can cause premature breakage, ESPECIALLY on an aluminum frame. This could result in you ripping your head tube right off when you least expect it, with the injury(ies) that goes along with it.

What fork do you have on there right now? You may want to look for a better one with the same amount of travel.

Look at my profile, that fork has 75mm of travel, and I wouldn't want more because it's buttery smooth and ramps up quite nicely at the end of it's stroke.