1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

2015 Giants - Looking at the Talon 27.5 1 or the Stance 27.5 1

Ok so I want to get back into riding. I never have really rode single track. I rode a small loop 5 or so years ago on my old GT which has been hanging in the garage since. It was really tough, but I think it's more because I was not used to riding single track.

2015 Giants - Looking at the Talon 27.5 1 or the Stance 27.5 1-gt_bike_001.jpg

So anyways, I moved to northern Michigan last summer. I have a bicycle shop within walking distance of my house which is a Giant dealer. I have always liked Giant and have wanted one since I was a kid, so I am stuck to that brand.

I have over 18 miles of single track that's also walking distance from my house. I have some road tires for the old GT, may turn it into a commuter bike when I want to run into town. I also have miles of paved bike paths also right from my house I could use it on. Where I am living now I feel I am really missing out by not cycling.

Here's information on the single track trails I will be riding:
    Mt. Biking

So I am looking at the Stance or the Talon, both the 1 versions. I have never had a full suspension bike, but it really interests me. I never thought I would be looking at spending so much on a bicycle but I want something that's half way decent. I also want something brand new.

I am 34 years old, 6' 4" tall, 250 lbs currently. I am hoping that by biking again I can get under 200 lbs along with my diet changes.

2015 Giants - Looking at the Talon 27.5 1 or the Stance 27.5 1-compare-1.jpg
    2015 Giants - Looking at the Talon 27.5 1 or the Stance 27.5 1-compare-2.jpg
    2015 Giants - Looking at the Talon 27.5 1 or the Stance 27.5 1-compare-3.jpg

Thanks in advance for any input. I have been reading and researching as much as I can, but I am still confused by the grades of most of the components.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I got the Talon 1 and am very happy with it. I watched a video of Hanson Hills and did not see anything suggesting full suspension was necessary or particularly helpful. I'd ride a Talon there without a second thought. The only changes I'd make to either bike was the pedals and saddle. Both are a matter of personal preference.

I didn't notice the bike weight in the specs, but I'd guess the Talon is lighter.

mtbr member
    I love that GT!

Since you already have a nice hardtail, I would go for the stance. It will be much more versatile compared to the Talon, should you want to try more technical terrain. It has a very simple single pivot rear suspension, but it should work pretty well. It also has a better fork that wont need upgrading.

Also, good luck with the weight loss! My buddy has dropped 100lbs over the last year by changing his diet and mountain biking. I have lost 20 just by mountain biking(200 to 180). No real diet change. If you are serious about it though, mountain biking gives a great cardio workout.

mtbr member
    I own last years model of 29" Talon and it was a great bike, I rode the Stance at a local trail Demo day this year. I say go for the Stance, its a great all around trail bike and will offer the best goal to eventually fit into skill wise. Also a better platform to progress into both with skills and future upgrades when needed/desired.