mtbr member
    Apr 2005

2015 Giants - Looking at the Talon 27.5 1 or the Stance 27.5 1

Ok so I want to get back into riding. I never have really rode single track. I rode a small loop 5 or so years ago on my old GT which has been hanging in the garage since. It was really tough, but I think it's more because I was not used to riding single track.

2015 Giants - Looking at the Talon 27.5 1 or the Stance 27.5 1-gt_bike_001.jpg

So anyways, I moved to northern Michigan last summer. I have a bicycle shop within walking distance of my house which is a Giant dealer. I have always liked Giant and have wanted one since I was a kid, so I am stuck to that brand.

I have over 18 miles of single track that's also walking distance from my house. I have some road tires for the old GT, may turn it into a commuter bike when I want to run into town. I also have miles of paved bike paths also right from my house I could use it on. Where I am living now I feel I am really missing out by not cycling.

Here's information on the single track trails I will be riding:
    Mt. Biking

So I am looking at the Stance or the Talon, both the 1 versions. I have never had a full suspension bike, but it really interests me. I never thought I would be looking at spending so much on a bicycle but I want something that's half way decent. I also want something brand new.

I am 34 years old, 6' 4" tall, 250 lbs currently. I am hoping that by biking again I can get under 200 lbs along with my diet changes.

2015 Giants - Looking at the Talon 27.5 1 or the Stance 27.5 1-compare-1.jpg
    2015 Giants - Looking at the Talon 27.5 1 or the Stance 27.5 1-compare-2.jpg
    2015 Giants - Looking at the Talon 27.5 1 or the Stance 27.5 1-compare-3.jpg

Thanks in advance for any input. I have been reading and researching as much as I can, but I am still confused by the grades of most of the components.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I got the Talon 1 and am very happy with it. I watched a video of Hanson Hills and did not see anything suggesting full suspension was necessary or particularly helpful. I'd ride a Talon there without a second thought. The only changes I'd make to either bike was the pedals and saddle. Both are a matter of personal preference.

I didn't notice the bike weight in the specs, but I'd guess the Talon is lighter.

I ride bikes
    I love that GT!

Since you already have a nice hardtail, I would go for the stance. It will be much more versatile compared to the Talon, should you want to try more technical terrain. It has a very simple single pivot rear suspension, but it should work pretty well. It also has a better fork that wont need upgrading.

Also, good luck with the weight loss! My buddy has dropped 100lbs over the last year by changing his diet and mountain biking. I have lost 20 just by mountain biking(200 to 180). No real diet change. If you are serious about it though, mountain biking gives a great cardio workout.

mtbr member
    I own last years model of 29" Talon and it was a great bike, I rode the Stance at a local trail Demo day this year. I say go for the Stance, its a great all around trail bike and will offer the best goal to eventually fit into skill wise. Also a better platform to progress into both with skills and future upgrades when needed/desired.