1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

2014 Trek X-Cal or 2012 Specialized Carve

Hello everyone! I'm just getting into mountain biking and have already learned so much from the site. I've been visiting all the LBS around me here in Virginia and have narrowed my options down to two.

1. 2012 Carve Comp 29- $700 (Was $1300)
    Specialized Bicycle Components

2. 2014 X-Caliber 8 -$950

X-Caliber 8 - Trek Bicycle

They both feel great so itís really just a matter of picking the one with better specs or best bang for my buck. The trails around here are pretty rocky and narrow. Iíll be riding this bike daily for transportation and have aspirations of taking it to Moab, Utah someday. I am by no means fluent in bike specs to be able to make a call w/o help, so if anyone has opinions Iíd really appreciate it. My budget is SUB 1K btw.

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    X-Cal has a better 100mm fork.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thats a tough one, I love my X-Cal but I am too new to give any advice.
    Best Photo Booth in Dallas Fort Worth
    http://www.snapzsnapz.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    They are very similar bikes so best to test ride and choose based on that. If it was a 2013 Carve rather than 2012 I would have said go for the Carve as the 2013 has air forks and is much lighter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Is the fork $200 better?. It's tough because they both ride so nice

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No. The geo of the X-Cal is also better... or easier to ride at speed, more stable. imo.

mtbr member

2014 Trek X-Cal or 2012 Specialized Carve

I rode a 2014 crave (carve) comp and a 2013 trek x-caliber and I liked the x-caliber better so I purchased it.

I'd compare components and ride each one to see how you like them.

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 Carve Comp 29" and I love it. I haven't ridden the other one to contrast the two, but I've had no problems at all and am new as well. I had a dual suspension Schwinn from a box store, and then bought the Carve. It's been nothing but great. I imagine you'll be happy either way.
    2012 Specialized Carve Comp 29
    IMBA Member
    Team J3 :: http://www.ridej3.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thank you for all the thoughts guys. I think I'm going to go with the Trek . It just feels right. Hoping for a better price though. Anyone know when the 2015 lineup comes out? I would assume this drops previous years price.

mtbr member
    Trek isn't doing a "2015 Release" in the normal sense. Basically if u want cheaper ask the lbs if that price is the best they can do. Otherwise ur waiting till fall for price to drop down to around $800. The carve deal is because its over 2 yrs old.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PISANO27 View Post
    Thank you for all the thoughts guys. I think I'm going to go with the Trek . It just feels right. Hoping for a better price though. Anyone know when the 2015 lineup comes out? I would assume this drops previous years price.
    You may have to try several dealers.
    Take cash and negotiate with a manager or owner. 15%. The sales people can't drop the price much on that bike. Labor Day weekend has been the model change price drop in the past. Up to 35%.