1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

2013 Transition Bandit 29 for sale... thoughts?

Hey mtbr.com! Thanks for the help with that hifi pro, I'm glad I passed on it.

I was hoping you all could have a look at another bike, a Transition bandit 29: 2013 Transition Bandit 29 Med *Like New* - Pinkbike

It's in pretty good condition, but I'm unsure about the price. The bike also seems to be a build in between two that Transition offers direct:

Bandit 29 Kit 2 $3699: Transition Bikes
    Bandit 29 Kit 3 $2899: Transition Bikes

It seems to be the drivetrain of kit 3, with the suspension of kit 2, which I find interesting.

He's pretty firm on the price, but is willing to $2000 for the bike less the dropper seatpost, brakeset, rotors, and saddle; all of which I have replacements for.

So what do you guys think? Worth the $2000?
    Last edited by turbofeedus; 12-06-2013 at 08:28 PM.

mtbr member
    I've never owned a Transition, but know a few who do. They really like them. The spec sheet looks fairly weak to me. Could be a frame build up with parts on hand, which is ok. How much to ship it to you? Personally, it would have to be a very special bike for me to pay $2k for a used bike. Why is a new bike for sale? I'd ask. Could be a shop guy, every shop employee I know always has a bike for sale. Professionally maintained doesn't mean much to me. I'd take a guy that spends time on his bike personally first. If that's the exact bike you want and can save some cash, then yes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a 2012 B29 which I love, it is an absolute hoot to ride. Very nice frame.

That being said, I remember seeing this bike for sale a few weeks ago and I thought the price to be ok IF it only has been used lightly. These usually aren't discounted off of MSRP when new though, at least in PA.

Regarding the parts spec, Transition is semi flexible in order configurations- when I bought mine, I could choose between Float or Talas, and they were out of X9 front derailleurs so they shipped mine with an X0 FD for a tiny price increase. So it is entirely possible if he works for a Transition dealer that he could have called them and paid extra for some upgrades.

Also, this bike is a lot more relaxed and playful than a HiFi.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

re member
    Transition is a great company...just sayin.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I believe he actually owns a shop in Philly. He told me he's only selling it to pick up the 2014 model. I'm not to hot on the drivetrain, so I'd probably be stripping all that off anyway. I'm gonna see if he'll sell me the frame and fork only. Thanks for the wisdom guys.