1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

2013 rockhopper comp 29er - fork upgrade

Hey guys, first real post of my own. Been looking into upgrading my front fork. Looking towards a used rock shock Reba or new rock shox recon gold.
    My question is this, I have a 1 1/8" steer tube currently, my frame has a tapered head tube with what they call "a bearing reducer". According to specialized website and my own digging. Is it possible to put a tapered fork on? What would I need, just trying to get all my facts straight before making a purchase.

thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Bike description says tapered head tube so yes with the right headset or a straight 1-1/8 with your existing parts. The tech guys at Cane Creek can tell you which part you need.