Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2013 Giant Revel 0 Build or New?

9K views 40 replies 9 participants last post by  speedneeder 
#1 ·
I am interested in making my bike better. I could just buy a new bike.
I started riding single track in January and I'm really enjoying it. I love my giant revel 0 except when I get to high speed on the down hill. I suspect this is an issue with the suntour xcm v3 fork, but I'm a n00b, so what do I know?
I really like the Matt black of my bike, but it's too heavy.
I could upgrade some stuff, or just buy a new bike. My goal either way would be to have a bike that weighed at least 5 lbs less. Learning to work on a bike as I go would be a plus, though not a requirement.
I would like some recommendations from people on this forum - people that like to ride the trails!

#32 ·
I own a Fox and it is nice, but I wouldn't pay double vs the Suntour. The guy at the shop knows nothing about Suntour forks and cannot service it.

The Fox has more trail cred, but I would go for it if I were in your shoes.

#33 ·
I can recommend a rock shox reba dual air. My 100mm can be changed to 80 or 120mm by adding removing a spacer, very simple. I had a comparable fork to yours and the reba was a big upgrade. You can get one new for 450 or used for around 250. Be careful if you buy one used because if the owner never serviced the fork the stanchions can be messed up or other parts on the inside and they won't even know. Sorry no experience with the epicon but I would go with the reba. Also, read allot of good about the manitou for the price (minute) worth looking into.

Good luck!

#34 ·
The Reba definitely has a good rep, though from what I have read, the 2013 version is solo air. I'm not sure I could buy a 2012 version new. I don't think I would want to buy a used fork for the reasons you mentioned.
Is there a particular model manitou fork?

#39 ·
Re: 2013 Giant Revel 0 Build or

Think about upgrading you bike slowly piece by piece as you get deals. I've seen Reba for $350ish, and you may want to wait for another deal to pop. There is $100 deal for slx cranks and Bb in deal forum.

You can see some of the ebay lightweight carbon posts and handlebar in the weight weenie subforum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.