Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2013 Giant Revel 0 Build or New?

9K views 40 replies 9 participants last post by  speedneeder 
#1 ·
I am interested in making my bike better. I could just buy a new bike.
I started riding single track in January and I'm really enjoying it. I love my giant revel 0 except when I get to high speed on the down hill. I suspect this is an issue with the suntour xcm v3 fork, but I'm a n00b, so what do I know?
I really like the Matt black of my bike, but it's too heavy.
I could upgrade some stuff, or just buy a new bike. My goal either way would be to have a bike that weighed at least 5 lbs less. Learning to work on a bike as I go would be a plus, though not a requirement.
I would like some recommendations from people on this forum - people that like to ride the trails!

#3 ·
I could probably get $350 for it? I think if I bought a new bike I would want to keep this for a spare/loaner. How much could I spend? I COULD spend a lot - I start to get queezy when I start thinking about spending over $1500 though. I check the Craigslist once in a while for used options.
Thanks for responding to ANOTHER what should I do with my bike thread.

#4 ·
http://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-corner/if-you-want-upgrade-your-suntour-fork-830657.html
Your fork is 5.8lbs. An upgrade Epicon for 250 is 3lbs.or so. Save 2.5 pounds off the front--the most important spot for handling.
A ZTR ArchEx front wheel for 215 plus 9 for 15mm endcaps will save 1.5lbs and be stronger and less flexy.
NoTubes ZTR Arch EX 29 clincher front wheel 29"
Or lace your own for about 140 with a Novatec D711 off ebay and Supercomp/brass nips. $67 Archex rim. Very easy with patience.
Actually will get you a better lighter wheel. Joytech makes both hubs.
Put a Nobby Nic Performance 29x2.25 light tire on the front. Saves 1lb.
Total saved 5lbs all off the front with components that can go on your next build.

For a complete used I would look for a 2012 Scott Scale Elite or Expert or a Trek X-cal also 2012 because both come with a dual air Reba fork. 2013 Reba is a dumbed down solo air without small bump tuneability. No one likes it.

#5 ·
Great info eb1888.
On that fork, think that requires a 15mm TA? I like the 9mm quick releases because they play nice with my seasucker bike rack. Is there such a thing as a 15mm QR?
On the wheels, do you give up any reliability to go tubeless? Right now I carry a spare tube under my seat just in case. My bike has the stock Giant CR70 wheels on it now. My wife's bike has some s-xc2 wheels on it, I might do a weight test to compare, as I can't find a weight rating on the CR70!
I should add that I'm not just about weight, want to stay very reliable - my Revel has been stellar in this regard so far. I'm not a racer, just like to get my cardio via mountain biking.

#6 ·
The ArchEx is a double wall rim with internal bracing. It is more durable than your oem wheel. I only suggest replacing the front wheel at this time. The 15mm thru axcle comes out to remove the wheel. But you will have to check with the rack manufacturer for getting it to work.
A used 2011-12 Reba with 9mm dropouts also weighs 3 lbs.
Tubeless is more reliable and saves more weight. But the ArchEx rim has small low bead hooks so pinch flats are not something I have experienced in running my build for 1 year. I use 26x2.1-2.5 tubes which stretch no problem. They do need a little air to get one to stretch on the rim when you mount..

#7 ·
I love my giant revel 0 except when I get to high speed on the down hill. I suspect this is an issue with the suntour xcm v3 fork, but I'm a n00b, so what do I know?
What problem are you having? The fix could be as easy as loosening up your arms or adjusting your riding position. People tend to stiffen their elbows when going downhill at speed, which is the exact opposite of what should be going on. Maybe that's not what's going on, but it's always worth looking into technique issues first before equipment issues.

#8 ·
If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork
Your fork is 5.8lbs. An upgrade Epicon for 250 is 3lbs.or so. Save 2.5 pounds off the front--the most important spot for handling.
A ZTR ArchEx front wheel for 215 plus 9 for 15mm endcaps will save 1.5lbs and be stronger and less flexy.
NoTubes ZTR Arch EX 29 clincher front wheel 29"
Or lace your own for about 140 with a Novatec D711 off ebay and Supercomp/brass nips. $67 Archex rim. Very easy with patience.
Actually will get you a better lighter wheel. Joytech makes both hubs.
Put a Nobby Nic Performance 29x2.25 light tire on the front. Saves 1lb.
Total saved 5lbs all off the front with components that can go on your next build.

For a complete used I would look for a 2012 Scott Scale Elite or Expert or a Trek X-cal also 2012 because both come with a dual air Reba fork. 2013 Reba is a dumbed down solo air without small bump tuneability. No one likes it.
excellent and helpful post. The improved fork will not only save weight, but also improve suspension performance. Same with wheels and tires.

You could remove the front derailleur and shift to convert the bike to 1x9 or 1x10.
other cheap weight savings
hylix carbon handlebar.
maybe saddle?
ebay chinese carbon seatpost

the cheapest place i could find the schwalbe evo line (higher end than performanes) is bike-discount. They ship from Germany, but the savings on 2+ tires is usually very worth it. do a search for schwalbe in the deals subsection Where are the Best Deals?

check this thread
http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenies/budget-weight-weenie-mtb-parts-775671.html

#9 ·
eb1888 - what if I get a hole in my tire? With a spare tube I'm only 15 minutes from riding again, don't know much about tubeless, what if I get a nail through my tire? Thanks again for your help.

Sockey - I do try to relax and let my legs and arms absorb a lot of the trail, but when I go fast the front end just seems to shake so hard I lose confidence and slow down. Perhaps this is the 'pogo stick' effect I have read about? I appreciate your comments as you make a great point, I'm sure I have a lot to learn!

Bob - thanks for the info. I never checked the 'deals' section before.

#10 ·
Sockey - I do try to relax and let my legs and arms absorb a lot of the trail, but when I go fast the front end just seems to shake so hard I lose confidence and slow down. Perhaps this is the 'pogo stick' effect I have read about? I appreciate your comments as you make a great point, I'm sure I have a lot to learn!
Have you tried adjusting your rebound? It might be worth slowing the rebound down just a bit to see if that helps.

#15 ·
I got some more info.
Seasucker does make 15 and 20 mm adapters.
An s-xc2 wheel is about 140g lighter than my CR70 wheel.

I like the idea of doing some upgrades to my bike, I think it would be fun!
Any suggestions for what to upgrade first? The only thing not stock now is my Brooks B17 saddle. I'm thinking fork, though unsure if I want that to include wheels for a 15mm TA.

#16 ·
The cheapest way to drop 5lbs is to take it out of your butt!!

I wouldn't go real crazy upgrading it, but putting better stuff on it as the stuff that it comes with breaks isn't gonna kill your pocket book all that bad. I wouldn't worry about the weight.... cause you'll definitely end up spending a ton on parts to save a gram..... Ride hard heavy and it will burn off some of the weight sitting on it!! Not calling you fat or anything!!

The fork is gonna be your limiting factor, I'd definitely swap that out with something entry level, but good.

#17 ·
Thanks BC - FYI I'm 6'1 168.
My thinking on the bike being lighter is that it will be easier to handle and make riding more fun.
I sent an email to Nick at Suntour to see what the status of the upgrade program is.
I guess I should check with my LBS on that one as well.
How would I go about changing my front wheel to 15mm? Or is that only done by a new wheel?

#28 ·
Less travel = less energy/speed lost in the system. Of course there is a point when more energy is lost in overcoming the terrain and more travel will benefit. Best results are often achieved by matching the equipment to its intended purpose. Bikes with less travel are often designed for slower speeds in rough terrain.

#31 ·
And so it begins, I ordered a set of ztr arch ex's today.
Still trying to figure out what to do with my fork. The guy at my LBS was pretty adamant about NOT using the suntour customer loyalty program - he says basically i should get a rockshox or fox fork. I dunno! The 2014 Epicon sounds like a pretty good fork for the price of $380. What would be a similarly spec'd rockshox or fox fork? What would they cost?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.