Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2012 Trek Wahoo VS. 2012 Specialized Hardrock

52K views 53 replies 23 participants last post by  J4KE 
#1 ·
I have been looking at getting a 29er and believe I have narrowed it down to the 2012 Trek Wahoo and the 2012 Specialized Hardrock Disc 29. What are your guys thoughts and opinions both pros and cons. Thanks in advance!!

#5 ·
Any thoughts on the specialized hardrock? My girlfriend is leaning towards getting a 2012 Specialized Myka HT Disc and I really like the hardrock. Any comments on those?

#7 ·
I picked up a Specialized Myka for my wife recently. It was one of the few bikes we could find in 13". She liked it over 3 other bikes she road including a Trek and a Giant. She has been happy with it on the couple rides I have gotten her to go on.

Go ride the bikes you are thinking of getting. Its worth the trip. Typically one will feel better than the others. I road the Hardrock 29er and the Marlin and like the Marlin a lot better. Try it out for yourself.

#6 ·
I just bought a 2011 Hardrock Disc 29er for a great price. I'm totally new to mtb but did some research before hand. The shock sucks, but nearly all do in this price range. The brakes aren't the best either, but everything else is adequate from what I can gather. Really it seems that in this price range for a 29er you get mostly bottom end components on most any of them, so pick the one you like riding the best (fit, etc).

I picked based on price.....33% off was a big selling feature and allowed me to go new instead of used or from bikesdirect (not to mention there are no used 29ers around here in the entry price range).

#10 ·
Wow! Where the hell did you score that? I'm in process of getting one too and was thinking about getting 2011 29er or 2012 sport 29er. lowest I found was $500 for 2011 29er and that's roughly only about 16.5%. 33% off is $400! I would reconsider getting 2012 for that money. :)

#8 ·
a lot of people seem to like the frame on the hardrock, although the marlin has the G2 geometry which is also supposedly very good. Just try both out and get the one that feels best like the others said. both are on the same component level so there isnt really any reason to go one way or the other based on that. I would stay away from the wahoo though unless the $100 is a real problem

#13 · (Edited)
the wahoo has single-wall rims and a cheap fork. it's good for a beginner who will only do some LIGHT trail riding, but if you're going to punish it, at least get a Marlin if not a Mamba for the tougher rims and better fork.

the hardrock has double-wall rims, which are probably stronger, but a shorter travel fork -80mm versus 100 on the Wahoo. the Hardrock also has a 7-speed cassette, which is ancient technology, whereas the Wahoo has a slightly more advanced 8-speed cassette.

if they are the same price, it's a tough call. also consider who's selling it. if you have to choose between two shops, pick the one that seems like it will support you the best with service, selection of accessories, and involvement in the local cycling scene.

#15 · (Edited)
Jason- the OP is comparing the 2012 Hardrock Disc 29er to the new 2012 Wahoo, which is also a 29er. the blue Wahoo you describe is the 2011 Wahoo 26" and not really comparable.

also, the Mamba does not have hydraulic brakes, it has Avid BB5's which are mechanical. the blue 2011 Wahoo 26", however, does have hydraulic Hornet brakes. I know this because I have built about a dozen 2011 blue Wahoos and at least 5 of the black and read 2012 Wahoo 29ers so far. the gear ratios were probably "different" in that they had different size cogs and rings, but they might be the same when you consider the gear inches achieved with a 29" wheel versus the same gear ratios that result in different gear inches on a 26" wheel. for example, running a 32:16 gear on a 26" bike is about the same as a 32/18 on a 29er. and so on. I'll have to look into that though.

edit: yup, the 26" Wahoo from 2011 has a 42/32/22 front chainring and the 29" Wahoo from 2012 has a 42/34/24 combo. if the cassette is the same, the gear inches that result should be close enough in range as to not make a big difference.

as far as sizing goes, standover height is just a safety issue really. you don't want to smash the old tool bag on the top tube, but the reach from the saddle to the handlebars is FAR more important. you can ride a super-low frame with 6" of clearance, but if the toptube and stem have you stretched out over the bike so that most of your weight is on your hands and your back is stretched out, it's not going to matter that they top tube is low enough.

#27 · (Edited)
I work at a Trek dealer and I have access to their Dexter system, which is where we place orders for bikes. there are no blue Wahoo 29ers for 2012 and in 2011, the Wahoo was blue and only came in a 26" model.

Trek website said:
Wahoo /
Any 26" rider looking for a better ride will love these G2 Geometry mountain goats.
Upgrades from Advance

Bontrager Ranger rims
Suntour SF11 XCM suspension fork
SRAM X.4 shifters and rear derailleur
Hydraulic disc brakes
Wahoo - Trek Bicycle

I have build and ridden several Mambas, they have mechanical disc brakes.

Trek website said:
Mamba /
29ers are versatile enough to serve XC and trail riders, and their unbeatable efficiency and momentum make them the ultimate singlespeed weapon.
Upgrades from Marlin

RockShox Tora 29
SRAM BB5 mechanical disc brakes
Shimano Acera crankset
Mamba - Trek Bicycle

here is the 2012 Wahoo, which only has a black/red color- 2012 Wahoo - Trek Bicycle if it came in another color, the Trek website would show another color option in that little swatch in the upper-right corner of the photo. if you look through some of the higher-end bikes, they have two or three color options on those swatches. sometimes the Trek main site shows what they wanted to make available to customers, but those disappear after a short production run or never get produced at all for whatever reason, so going to the Trek dealer's site is a more reliable source of information.

here is the 2011 Wahoo, which only came in blue- Wahoo - Trek Bicycle again, only one color option in the swatch at the top-right because that's the only one they made in 2010.

for a second bit of proof, read Bikepedia's entries on these:
Gary Fisher Wahoo
Bikepedia.com said:
Bicycle Type Mountain bike, front suspension
MSRP (new) $659.99
Weight Unspecified
Sizes 13", 15.5", 17.5", 19", 21"
Colors Matte Black/Signature Blue
Item ID 22743
Wheels
Hubs Front: Formula DC20, Rear: Shimano M475
Rims Bontrager Ranger, 32-hole
Tires Front: 26 x 2.2" Bontrager Jones XR, Rear: 26 x 2.25" Bontrager Jones XR
bikepedia does not have 2012 stuff listed here, 2012 is on the showroom floor at the bike shop where I work and I worked on one just the other day. the Trek site does not lie: Avid BB5's.

#28 ·
oh ****, the blue 2012 is not in the new Trek catalog we just got and it's not on the server. I usually go to that first and the trek site has something that isn't in there. I wonder what that true blue color is going to look like because I haven't seen any photos of it and it does not exist in their ordering site yet. weird.

also, i thought you were talking about the 2011 Mamba. we have not been able to get ahold of any of the 2012 mamba's yet, and the 2011's have BB5s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.