1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Trek 6000

Life is Short...Ride Hard

2012 Trek 6000

Im thinking of upgrading to this bike from a 4300.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes.../6_series/6000

Are these components good? Learn me something!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    pretty decent, I think the shock is the weakest link in the bike itself.

Well I guess this begs the question, Is there a better spec'ed bike at this price point? I honostly think im leaning towards this bike. The store I plan to buy this from will do six months same as cash. I will not order online. So unless there is another bike that is the same price or cheaper that blows this out of the water than I think Im sold.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The fork indeed seems weak for an $1179 bike.
    Just as an example: Jamis Durango 3 is an X7 equipped bike for $1100 with a Tora Tk on it; likewise Felt's Q720 has a Tora Tk and runs $1000(but has mostly Alivio); and Scott's Aspect 10 has almost the same spec as the Trek but with a Tora TK.

I4NI
    Got last years model. Nice frame but the components are lacking.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

Quote Originally Posted by S_Trek View Post
    Got last years model. Nice frame but the components are lacking.
    I believe they have updated the components quite a bit from last years.

So if anything, this will be a great frame to upgrade on. First would be the fork I guess.

Any other thoughts on this bike and what else is out there in this price range?

I4NI
    Instead of upgrading do your self a favor and just buy the 6700. Wish I did. I basically turned my bike into a 6700 but with a better fork(fox) and spent more money than I should have.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

Quote Originally Posted by S_Trek View Post
    Instead of upgrading do your self a favor and just buy the 6700. Wish I did. I basically turned my bike into a 6700 but with a better fork(fox) and spent more money than I should have.
    Send me the extra grand and ill do that!!! Im on a non negotiable budget. another $1000 is out of the question.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LvilleFan View Post
    Well I guess this begs the question, Is there a better spec'ed bike at this price point? I honostly think im leaning towards this bike. The store I plan to buy this from will do six months same as cash. I will not order online. So unless there is another bike that is the same price or cheaper that blows this out of the water than I think Im sold.
    I am considering this same price point too. I am leaning towards the Cannondale SL2, but once I saw the 2012 6000, it went on the short list; whereas the 2011 6000 did not make the short list...

Quote Originally Posted by maxkimber View Post
    I am considering this same price point too. I am leaning towards the Cannondale SL2, but once I saw the 2012 6000, it went on the short list; whereas the 2011 6000 did not make the short list...
    What else is on your list?

Did some research and the components on the 6000 are superior to those on the sl3. Not by much but still better. Or at least more expensive.

The SR Suntour XCR-RL on the 6000 has remote lockout and is around $115 if you were to go buy one.

The Rockshox Recon Silver TK on the SL2 does not have remote lockout and is $300 if bought solo.

So what is bad about the Suntour Shock? It has the ability to lock out from the handlebars which would make me more inclined to use it. I have never once reached down to lock out my current fork. Both the above mentioned forks are Cheap, but the cheaper of the 2 (price wise) has more bang for your buck it seems. So Whats the difference, besides the brand?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I presume you are talking about the SL2, not the SL3.

The Recon is a better fork because of it's features, despite lacking a remote lockout it's a more advanced fork. Its rebound damping will be better and it's an air fork; meaning it can be made to fit you much better by putting more or less air pressure in. Because it's an air fork it's also probably a touch lighter. The XCR is a spring coil fork, so it is either "tuned" via changing the spring, or maybe not at all. The Recon gets wonderful reviews.

One other thing is that Cannondale's feature a 1 1/2" headtube, so maybe a little stiffer.

I have a 2009 Trek 6000; I think it's a great bike. However, you asked for honest feedback on the 6000 and my honest feedback is that for the model you named and the price they are asking; better deals are around; I think the SL2 is a great suggestion.

The three things that really seem to matter to ride enjoyment seem to be contact points/fit, fork and brakes. You'd likely never knew the Trek had a Deore front derailleur vs. Alivio or M552 crank v. M430 unless you got off your bike and looked at the numbers or put them on a scale. I do think that you would appreciate the Recon Fork when you're riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LvilleFan View Post
    What else is on your list?
    Well, a used bike... I like the SL2 on paper, but no LBS' have one in my area to test. So I am activily seeking a used bike with a quality frame, then upgrade the components as I need to, or want to...

A couple weeks ago I went to check out bikes at a Trek LBS and talked to the owner, he was assembling a 2011 6000, and didn't like the component level for the price, then he pulled up the 2012 specs and I think they are comparable to the SL2. That said, I might be calling the owner back to see if he still has that 2011 6000, and hope he will be closing it out for a 'steal' - then I would have to consider it, as the frame is nice... I am basically looking for a good value for dollar deal...

Disclaimer: I am a complete rookie and have no idea what the differences between the components are/mean ; I am just basing my desire for a bike off my research and suggestions from this forum .

mtbr member
    yeah, that's a crappy fork on the '12 6000. have you thought about going the 29er route? if so, check out the cobia- you should be able to get the 2011 for under a grand.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z View Post
    yeah, that's a crappy fork on the '12 6000. have you thought about going the 29er route? if so, check out the cobia- you should be able to get the 2011 for under a grand.
    The '12 Cobia MSRP is pretty much the same as the 6000. The components are pretty similar but are Sram instead of Shimano but the fork is better. The mamba would also be an option for about 950.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

mtbr member
    Bike fit and good frame is most important.

Components can always be upgraded......but if you don't like the fit and how the bike rides, don't buy it just because of a few parts. Ride a bunch of bikes in the same price range, don't get stuck on a brand, and buy the one that fits and rides the best. If a shop doesn't have an expert that knows how to size a "mountain bike" to you.......notice the quotes around mountain bike......then don't buy it from them. A road fit isn't the same as a mountain bike fit......

The most common mistake people make, especially inexperienced buyers, is they get a bike because of the bling and not the correct fitting bike.

MTBR Member

I pretty much have my mind made up on the 2012 6000. After reading this thread, I think I am still going for it. The problem is, my LBS told me that the 15.5" may not be available until OCTOBER! I really wish I didn't have to wait that long. But I will if I have to because I think I am in love. I want that bike!

Hopefully, since I am not that big and over 40 and not going to be riding hardcore trails too soon, I won't have to worry about that front fork. I won't have to worry about that front fork, will I?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodroce View Post
    I won't have to worry about that front fork, will I?
    No....on the scale of forks it is on the lower end, but that doesn't mean it won't do a good job. It will absorb bumps pretty well.....it won't have all the options other forks have, but for most people, they don't know how to use all the options anyway. You would be surprised at how many people I talk to and I am like....nice fork....it's got rebound and slow and high speed compression. Their reply is usually.....yeah, I haven't touched any of that stuff because I don't even know what those things do.....

mtbr member
    I have and ride the heck out of an '09 Trek 6500 which is basically the same bike as the newer 6000's. Mine has a Tora fork which is supposed to be a bit better but I have never tried the Suntour for myself to see. I have about 3000 miles on mine from commuting to hard core trail and X/C riding it can handle it all. I did have issues with broken spokes on the back wheel, but the bike shop swapped it out and I've had no issues since. The Shimano brakes are awesome, definate upgrade from the 4300. I would suggest riding some 29'er though - just to see what the hype is about, then decide.

29er for life!!
    I'd go with a 29er at that price if i were you...just sayin

MTBR Member

Smile

Yay!

My new 2012 6000 will be ready on Monday! I am so stoked! They initially said it may take until October to get it. But after my LBS put it on back order, it came in pdq. I can't wait and it happens that I am off from work on Monday, so yee-haw!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Terrible fork for that price, hell the 11 avalanche 1.0 has a tora 120mm and it's ~$800.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky916 View Post
    Terrible fork for that price, hell the 11 avalanche 1.0 has a tora 120mm and it's ~$800.
    I was thinking the same thing. Everyone seems to forget about the "other" brands

MTBR Member

I'd say that the shocks on the 6000 will be just fine for me. This point was already covered in this thread, ricky916, but thanks.

I didn't forget about the other brands of bikes. I wanted a Trek. I wanted the 2012 6000. I have been to bike shops from Rochester to Syracuse and all points in between. I have been researching and reading about bikes for months. This is the bike I want and I am sure that I will be very, very happy with it regardless of the shocks not being the best that money can buy. If I find that the shocks aren't going to do the job I expect them to do, I will upgrade them. But, for me, this bike will be AWESOME and I can't wait until Monday when I pick her up!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast