1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    z4j
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

2012 Specialized Carve Comp. ($1250--best value?)

Hello. Looking to get my first mountian bike and transfer from MX. Was looking at the Specialized Carve Comp. today at my local dealer. He has an 2012 for $1250. Honestly...I don't know much and was hoping to cut to the chase. For $1250 is there better product out there that exceeds the Carve? Also if not, is $1250 too high for this bike? Thank you all very much!

NeedGod.com
    I think all Specialized bikes are overpriced. If you don't mind doing some of the wrench work yourself, I highly recommend Airborne. Check out the Goblin. Airborne Bicycles. Goblin

I just bought a Guardian which has very comparable components to the Rockhopper Comp 29 and a better fork for half the price.

z4j
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks.....no problem wrenching. Anyone else?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by z4j View Post
    Hello. Looking to get my first mountian bike and transfer from MX. Was looking at the Specialized Carve Comp. today at my local dealer. He has an 2012 for $1250. Honestly...I don't know much and was hoping to cut to the chase. For $1250 is there better product out there that exceeds the Carve? Also if not, is $1250 too high for this bike? Thank you all very much!

I was looking at the comp and expert models and had a similar question and then checked out some craigslists and found a LBS selling an unopened 2009 Devinci Desperado SL 2 for $1100. It isn't a 29er but it looks like a very well spec'd bike.

[www]devinci.com/archive/2009/montagne/Desperadosl2_EN.htm

Just a thought - anyone with experience this would be a better option than the current Specialized Comp or the Goblin?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Funny this came up today. I was in Austin on some other business and decided to check out some of the bike shops. One of the stores I went in had the Specialized Carve Comp priced at $1350.00 and I was thinking how over priced it was. Glad to know I am not the only one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ya I am going to take the Expert out for a spin tomorrow to see how I like it. I must admit I like the 29er's - I tend to commute a lot and I could swap out some semi slicks to get some decent speed.

That '09 desperado looks like a much better deal though (I saw a small frame available if you are interested). Brand new from a shop in Quebec Canada.

mtbr member
    Nitro 9.3 - $1279CAD - Recon Air Fork
    Nitro 9 29er Hardtail Mountain Bikes Norco Bicycles
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc

nOOb
    Quote Originally Posted by madaxc View Post
    Nitro 9.3 - $1279CAD - Recon Air Fork
    Nitro 9 29er Hardtail Mountain Bikes Norco Bicycles
    The Airborne Goblin is better spec'd. Just sayin'.
    '09 Cannondale F7
    '00 Specialized Hardrock Comp

nOOb

Hope

I think what it all comes down to when buying a bike in this price range is what you prefer . Specialized , Airborne , Norco, etc. They're all gonna be great bikes.
    '09 Cannondale F7

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If you're comfortable doing your own wrenching, you might check out bikesdirect.com. Not everybody agrees with the Internet/mail-order business model, but they do have very high bang for the buck.

z4j
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thank you all very much. I know newbie question can be constant and redundent. Thank you all very much for taking the time!

z4j
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    jlallak...I see the Airborn comes in a 18 or 20 for my height. I'm 6'1" and was spec'ed for a 19" when I was looking at the Specialized. I'm an ex motocrosser and was told a bit smaller is the way to go if I'm looking to play a little on the extreme side. Think 18" will work?

NeedGod.com
    I'm 5'10" and I ride an 18" Guardian, which is the same frame as the Goblin. I have a 32 inch inseam and the Guardian top tube barely touches the jewels(barefoot). Probably just a smidgen too big for me, but it rides great on the trail and I'd probably be cramped on a smaller frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hey man,

I thought I would follow-up. I ended up picking up a Carve Comp this afternoon. I paid $1099. At the end of the day I knew I could keep paying more and more - but decided to go with the base model (best paint job too ) and upgrade components as required.

Best of luck on the hunt - I hope you find the right bike for you.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    I think all Specialized bikes are overpriced. If you don't mind doing some of the wrench work yourself, I highly recommend Airborne. Check out the Goblin. Airborne Bicycles. Goblin
    spec wise the goblin is probably the best bang for the buck in that price range. the downside is ya really cant test ride em for fit.. they dont go on sale that ive seen so occasionally something pops up slightly better. especially if you can find a model a year or 2 old still new.

ride a bunch then look at the geometry for whats closest to what you liked.

generally smaller is more manuverable however if you have to lengthen the stem then your giving up some cornering for fit. where as shortening a bigger bike will make it more responsive. at 6'1 i'd probably be looking at the 20"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlallak View Post
    The Airborne Goblin is better spec'd. Just sayin'.
    Obviously... Was just trying to give a "physical" alternative. Also, OP's location has an effect as well... If they're in Canada the shipping on an Airborne would definitely change things.
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc

NeedGod.com
    Yeah shipping is a factor. Right now, Airborne has free shipping. I know this because it happened 2 days after I bought my bike. Murphy's law, eh?

z4j
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Well I believe Airborne is the way I'll go. Thank you very much for taking the time everyone. Most likely go with the 20 unless anyone has other input to direct me to the 18. Again....thanks a bunch.

mtbr member
    Good choice!

I was just reading about the Goblin the other day, and I'm pretty impressed with it. When I upgrade to a 29er I'mn going to seriously consider that bike.

And now seems to be a great time to buy, free shipping is always a great perk! I have to imagine shipping something the size of a bike has got to cost a decent chunk of change.

nOOb
    Well I ride two 26". So I wouldn't know how to size a 29" unless I was on it. Though my two bikes are a 17" & a 19". I feel they both fit me fine. I'm 6'0".
    '09 Cannondale F7

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by z4j View Post
    jlallak...I see the Airborn comes in a 18 or 20 for my height. I'm 6'1" and was spec'ed for a 19" when I was looking at the Specialized. I'm an ex motocrosser and was told a bit smaller is the way to go if I'm looking to play a little on the extreme side. Think 18" will work?
    At 6'1" tall I would probably recommend a 20". Our 20" fits very close to most companies 19.5" size. Of course that's assuming you are of average body proportions for your height. I'm 6'1" tall and ride a 20" Goblin.

If you have a moment, give us a call and chat a bit to be certain that's the correct size before you buy, thanks!

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer