1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

2012 hardrock disc vs 2012 avalanchen3.0

Hi guys looking for an entry level bike. I can get a hard rock disc 2012 for $372 or a GT Avalanche 3.0 2012 for $399. Both bikes rode well and I can't really decide. I was hoping to get some opinions. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I recently tried both of those out (along with several others as well) and ended up going with a closeout 2011 Avalanche 2.0 From Performance Bicycle for $450 which I have been happy with.
    ~ 2011 GT Avalanche 2.0
    ~ 1993 Diamondback Topanga
    ~ 2012 Diamondback Overdrive Expert

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    well the gt's fork is 100mm, the specialized is 80... both suntour so.. eh. the gt's 8 speed, specialized 7.. both have similar quality parts otherwise, the tires on the gt are probably a little better as well.. i'd go with the gt for the money new, but for 400 i'd go with something used personally, you'll get a much better bike. there's a specialized p3 near me for like 300 that i'm looking at getting actually.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm in the same boat. I'm currently truing to find a nice, used bike? Any ideas on the most reliable way to price a used bike? I've looked at bicyclebluebook.com and thecheapbikestore.com. I understand this isn't necessarily the right place to post this, but I can't find anything current on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Honestly, what its worth to you. If you showed me a bike that I didn't like and said it was worth x dollars....I wouldn't buy it. Bike prices are relative. Generally, they're worth less if beaten up and broken lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
    Hi guys looking for an entry level bike. I can get a hard rock disc 2012 for $372 or a GT Avalanche 3.0 2012 for $399. Both bikes rode well and I can't really decide. I was hoping to get some opinions. Thanks.
    how did you get a so low pricde for hardrock disc. I got a price of $520 ...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kingming View Post
    how did you get a so low pricde for hardrock disc. I got a price of $520 ...
    King a lbc in has all their specialized bikes on clearance due to the fact they will no longer be authorized to sell specialized bikes.

Bassmaster
    Jul 2012
    \then go with the GT if you like the LBS. Did they offer any recommendations after seeing you on both bikes? My LBS is also a GT dealer and he had good things to say about them. He wanted to put me on a scott scale but they are currently unavailable on backorder so I went with the cannondale sl3 29er. Theyre both good companies and products, get the one you really like.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    just rode the avalanche the other day. i liked it very much