1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Smile 2012 GT Avalanche 4.0 or 2013 GT Aggressor

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and mountain biking in general so am looking for some advice! If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it.

I'm looking to buy a beginners mountain bike mainly for off-road use on some quite bumpy trails but nothing too crazy, and have narrowed my choices down to the 2012 GT Avalanche 4.0 (women's) or the 2013 GT Aggressor 3.0 (men's)

I've looked around a lot online and have found good reviews about the Aggressor 3.0 but couldn't find many reviews about the Avalanche 4.0 so I'm not sure which is the better bike for my needs.

I think that the Avalanche might have better specs but I'm not sure. Which would you guys recommend out of the two? Obviously if there is a better bike for a similar price then please mention it!

Thanks very much

Jenny

R.I.P. DogFriend
    You are correct about the Avalanche having better specs. Some of the components are a level above that of the Aggressor. The main thing to get right, is the fit. Women's specific bikes usually have a relatively shorter top tube, which would put you in a more upright (ie; casual) riding position.