1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

2012 Giant Yukon FX $700 VS 2014 Talon 27.5 4 $700

I will be going uphill quite a bit but there is a big discount on the yukon. I just can't decide which is a better buy....

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Are they both brand new?

Just based off of original MSRP it looks like the Yukon is the better value with the original MSRP of $1050.

From what I can tell the Yukon is a full suspension bike (or has a rear suspension) and the Talon is a front suspension/hardtail. Not sure if that affects your decision and how you will be using the bikes.

Without knowing much about bikes and if both bikes are brand new with lbs support I'd get the Yukon.

Here is the bicycle blue book value for the Yukon but it is probably assuming that it is used too:
    2012 Giant Yukon FX - New and Used Bike Value

If the Yukon is used, I might still consider it but it would depend on the condition and might ask them to go lower on the price, depending on how much you want it. I'm not sure if you would be able to negotiate the Talon a little bit more.

This is all just based off of the price of the bikes and I'm not familar with either one or the components and what type of bike would be good for riding uphill.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Both are brand new

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    at the local LBS

mtbr member
    Ride both and see which you prefer. With that being said my girlfriend started with and kept her 2011 Yukon. The bike has over 3000 mtb miles and she raced a full season this year including the 5 points 50 and Swank. Hell she has even done the Pisgah enduro on it. I have tried to get her to upgrade for the last year but she refuses. I have put a Recon gold fork, Shimano 2x10, and Shimano brakes on it. At 28 pounds I joke that she has the most blinged out Yukon on the planet. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

I started on a Giant Talon a few years ago and loved it. Best climbing bike I have ever had. But I have a 44 year old back and it beat the hell out of me so I moved to an Anthem x29.

Good luck!
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I just looked into it further. Apparently the Yukon is a lower end FS bike with lower end parts. Okay value for the money when looking at full suspension bikes. Plus it sounds like hardtails are better for going uphill. Didn't look too much into the Talon.

So I still like the Yukon for the price. But without negotiating for a new bike before, I think they can do better on the price for the Talon.

It sounds like the Talon might suit your purposes more, but that discount on the Yukon is kind of appealing. I'm not sure how much the rear suspension affects going uphills, like you need.

What's your experience and what kind of rides do you do, to give other people a better idea on which one might be better for you? When you say uphill what do you mean?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I am just starting to Mountain Bike again. I am still shaky on going down too fast. I know I will be climbing a lot. I think I can get the talon for 600. Its just that Yukon price that is hanging me up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    By uphill, I mean climbing 3000 feet to get to the fun parts of the ride in Socal.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Much as I hate to admit it, my FS is better on the way up than my hardtail.

The Yukon FX is about the best-regarded FS in that price range. Price range being a big caveat. I don't have saddle time on it myself.

What forks are on each bike? Still have your old bike? Can you test-ride on trails?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Here are the specs for the bikes that he is looking at:
    Talon 27.5 4 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States
    SR Suntour XCT MLO, w/lockout, 100mm travel

Yukon FX (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States
    SR Suntour XCM V3 w/ Lockout, 100mm Travel

I'm not sure if the Giant Air mentioned in the specs is the rear shock.

Since the Talon comes with hydraulic brakes, I assume that means the rest of the components are higher end compared to the Yukon, which comes with mechanical brakes. Personally I prefer mechanical brakes, due to its simplicity(but have no experience with hydraulics), but I guess the rear shock/suspension might balance out the complicated parts on the bike compared to the Talon.

Also Orthoguy brings up a good point in test riding the bikes. If one of them doesn't fit well, there's no point in considering it.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    The thing I say about the Yukon is that it is too cheap for a FS bike. Buy the Talon, it has better components and is a better frame. The Yukon has no rear lockout anyway.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Talon, a cheap FS is a waste of money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    The thing I say about the Yukon is that it is too cheap for a FS bike. Buy the Talon, it has better components and is a better frame. The Yukon has no rear lockout anyway.
    Better frame? I disagree, the frame is fantastic on the Yukon. The rear suspension is a carbon copy of the Maestro and the rear "Giant air" shock while it does not have a lock out, works surprisingly well. 3000 mtb miles on ours and we have yet to have to rebuild it. I certainly don't get that mileage on my RP's and RP2's between rebuilds.

In my opinion the Suntour forks on both bike are just terrible and would be the first thing I changed out. The Hayes MX-5 brakes worked surprisingly well and we changed them out basically just to save weight.

The shifting worked well for about a year before it started getting a bit "ambiguous".
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Neither one of those bikes have great drivetrain on them, they are decent and will do the job but once they break or if you get the mod bug it will almost be better to buy another bike than to put the money in those bikes unless you are the type to never sell a bike until it is totally done.

I am older as well (39) so the FS has more allure to me, I could ride a hardtail and once I get a CX bike might even think about a HT in the next 2 years but for now FS is great for me.

I would lean towards the FS bike, but I would buy it to ride it and make sure ou enjoy the sport, if you really take off start saving the money up and look towards a Giant Anthem down the road.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For your budget neither bike is the best choice with at least a $200 fork upgrade and more down the road. A BD Gravity Point 3 has X7 drive and a RockSox XC32 TK fork you do not need to upgrade for $750 shipped. The geo is better than the steeper setup Giant hasn't upgraded in years.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point3 29er Mountain Bikes
    Ride a Trek X-Cal 8 to see if you might like it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    For your budget neither bike is the best choice with at least a $200 fork upgrade and more down the road. A BD Gravity Point 3 has X7 drive and a RockSox XC32 TK fork you do not need to upgrade for $750 shipped. The geo is better than the steeper setup Giant hasn't upgraded in years.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point3 29er Mountain Bikes
    Ride a Trek X-Cal 8 to see if you might like it.
    The gravity sounds good. Have you ridden one?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hmmm. I do really like the Trek X-Cal 8. Seems like a better price for the components than the 2014 talon 1 at 1380.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I had a 2009 Yukon frame built up with with nicer parts for a couple seasons. It's a pretty impressive frame for the cost. Pedals quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by welker666 View Post
    Hmmm. I do really like the Trek X-Cal 8. Seems like a better price for the components than the 2014 talon 1 at 1380.
    The X-Cal is a great bike, and the 29er wheels are a major improvement.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    This is an impossible decision. Kona kahuna?

This is an impossible decision. Kona kahuna?
    In that category, the Trek X-Cal 8 would be the best option. The Kona Kahuna costs $200 more than the 8, and has the same level spec.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Out of the Talon and the Yukon, I say the Talon. I own a Talon and after I swapped the front fork it has been great. Looking at reviews on both bikes the Talon has a much better review. The best advise though would be, if possible test ride both and go with the one you like the most.
    Now If you are starting to look at other bikes, look at airborne. Better components and really good reviews.

Airborne Bicycles. Guardian 2.0

Good luck.
    "Ideal bikes are not bought, they evolve beneath you"

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have an ulterior reason to like Konas, but I think you were on the right track looking at used bikes. The pricepoint between $600 and $1700 is a bit of a wasteland.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    By uphill, I mean climbing 3000 feet to get to the fun parts of the ride in Socal.
    if you climb 3000', don't you have to DH 3000'...? it works that way around here anyway...alot of times I would much rather just do that gravity ditty!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    So there is the "Gravity" and The "Airborne" Mail order. But it seems like the Trek X-Cal 8 Wins price and specwise from a shop right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast