1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

2012 Fuji Tahoe 29 2.0 On Order

I've been lurking around here for awhile and finally decided it was time to register and introduce myself.

After years of little to no biking, I decided to get back into the sport for the health benefits and purchased a Fuji Cross 3.0 LE in May to start commuting back and forth to work; about 20 miles round trip. I got hooked, and besides commuting almost every day five days a week, I began piling on the miles with longer rides on the weekend and even completed my very first century ride last month. I've already racked up about 1,500 miles just this summer.

I had a week long camping trip planned around Labor Day weekend and decided to dust off my old, classic, GT Tempest rigid mountain bike that has been sitting in the garage for years so I could try the 22 mile loop around Waldo Lake. I had a blast on the ride even though the bike fared much worse; suffering a lost water bottle cage and broken pump mount about mile 5 and a sheared seat bolt around mile 12. Although I had to stand the last 10 miles, both the bike and I successfully completed the loop and made it back to camp; me quite worn out and the bike in need of repairs that rendered it useless for the rest of the week.

I enjoyed the ride so much that I started thinking a new mountain bike might be fun, so the research started as soon as I got home. I realized my riding style would likely be mainly cross country, so a hard tail was probably my best option, and the 29'ers started intriguing me.

As I was researching parts to get the GT back on the road, I decided to see what Performance Bike had to offer for a hard tail 29'er and ended up coming across the Fuji Tahoe 29 2.0. The price looked promising for the specs, and after comparing it to several similarly equipped bikes, I decided to pull the trigger sight unseen since they only had one 17" frame left in stock.

The bike has already shipped and is on its way to the store as I type this, and it should arrive by Monday. I am really excited to see the bike in person, and I'm hoping I like it and the 17" frame is a good fit (I'm 5'8" and 140 or so pounds). I figure worse case, I can simply return it and get all my money back (no shipping charges), and then start the search all over again.

If anyone would have asked me this spring, I would have never predicted buying one new bike, let alone two this year and ending up with a stable of three bikes by the end of summer! The parts to get the GT up and running again are already on their way, so I'll likely keep it around as a backup for tooling around the neighborhood and as a loaner to try to get some of my friends out on the trails so they, too, will buy a mountain bike so I have some people to go out riding with.

Looking forward to soaking up as much information as I can from the forum and hitting the trails on my new bike once it arrives before the cold, wet weather hits!

mtbr member
    Do you have any questions for us?

The 17" frame might be a bit large for you. you could probably adjust your seat position and get a shorter stem that might make it comfortable for you.

$1k is a pretty good deal for the components that come on it. Should be an awesome beginner/intermediate xc bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the reply moefosho!

Probably the only question I have at this point, is what are people's experiences/opinions on Fuji MTBs? As I discovered when I bought my cross bike, there's not a whole lot of information out there about Fujis, but the people that do own them like them and feel they're a quality bike with reasonable components at a good price point.

I am a little worried about the frame size myself, but 17" is the smallest frame size offered on the Tahoes for 2012. I know the 19" would be WAY too big. My cross bike is a M (54 cm) and fits me perfectly, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see how the 17" Tahoe feels. If it feels too big and standover height is an issue, I'm going to let them keep it, because I really don't like riding frames that are too large; I'd much rather have a frame slightly too small.

I really hope everything works out and the frame fits me fine, because I like everything else about it and don't want to have to start my search all over again!

mtbr member
    How does your inseam compare with the stand over height in the specs?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Clicker1 View Post
    How does your inseam compare with the stand over height in the specs?
    My inseam is a 32, which is right at the 818 mm stand over height on the 17" frame specs.

I'm curious where Fuji is measuring the stand over height though, because 818 mm seems a little much for a 17" (S/M) spec'd frame. I'm also new to all this, especially when it comes to 29er specs, so maybe this is totally normal...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Fuji standover height

Quote Originally Posted by PDX:ST View Post
    My inseam is a 32, which is right at the 818 mm stand over height on the 17" frame specs.

I'm curious where Fuji is measuring the stand over height though, because 818 mm seems a little much for a 17" (S/M) spec'd frame. I'm also new to all this, especially when it comes to 29er specs, so maybe this is totally normal...
    What did you find out about the standover height of the Tahoe 2.0? Is it 818 as specifed or do they measure it differently? Is the standover height a little on the high side for you or does it fit?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedocy View Post
    What did you find out about the standover height of the Tahoe 2.0? Is it 818 as specifed or do they measure it differently? Is the standover height a little on the high side for you or does it fit?
    I've been so busy with work lately that I haven't had a chance to spend much time on the new bike, let alone update this thread. I did get a chance to take it out on its first ride on Surveyor's Ridge near Hood River last Saturday and loved it! The bike feels great and seems to fit perfect. The stand over height isn't an issue, but I'll make it a point to measure it and post the results to see if I can figure out where Fuji is coming up with the 818 mm spec.

Time constraints Saturday prevented me from riding the whole trail, but the bike was awesome and weather was fantastic! This was my first ride ever on a bike with front suspension, as well as being on a 29'er, and I have to say I'm hooked! I got in about 15 miles and hope I get enough done at work today to get out and ride some of the Wilson River Trail tomorrow.

Here's a pic of the bike after it's first trip out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Congrats! The Tahoe 2.0 is a nice little bike, and you got a great deal from the sounds of it. I'm pretty sure Fuji measures the effective standover height from the middle of the top tube, but yes, 818mm sounds kinda steep for a 17" frame.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Is your saddle comfortable with the nose that high?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    Is your saddle comfortable with the nose that high?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
    I noticed the angle of the saddle in that pic when I first posted it, and I certainly don't remember the nose being that high while riding. I adjusted the saddle dead level when I was going over the bike after picking it up from the store, so unless it slipped way out of adjustment on the ride, it must just the slope of the ground the bike was parked on in the picture. I'll definitely be taking a look before I take it back out though.