1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Wahoo

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

2011 Wahoo

I'm considering a new Fisher Wahoo 2011 for suburban street riding as well as hitting trails.
    I am considering getting tires that would be good for both road and light trail riding (forgot the style/brand I saw in the store yesterday) but the sales rep said it would be a good way to go for me - IF I planned on hitting trails here and there.

I was originally looking at a hybrid, Trek Kaitai, but figured if I did hit the trails enough I would need a front suspension at least.

Would this probably be the best way to go, the Wahoo?
    Or is there something comparable to it?
    (love those lefty fork rides though, very different )

mtbr member
    You don't really need front suspension, especially for the riding you're describing... I have a fully rigid singlespeed that I use around town and to occasionally ride trails. Some guys do some hardcore mountain biking on a fully rigid set up. If you're only periodically hitting trails here or there that don't have a lot of 'technical' features, the Wahoo or Kaitai or anything similar should work fine for you.

mtbr member
    Jake,

me and a buddy (novice riderds) recently bought bikes, he went with a giant revel, and picked up a 11 wahoo. i am loving it so far; when i bought it, trek had a 6 month same as cash promo.

i have been using it for single track trails...so far i have upgraded the pedals to platform, and changed out the seat to a gel seat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The Kaitai has front suspension, but doesn't have double walled rims. If you're heavy or plan on riding on rough terrain you'll probably want double walled rims.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i really like the look of that

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbansniper View Post
    Jake,

me and a buddy (novice riderds) recently bought bikes, he went with a giant revel, and picked up a 11 wahoo. i am loving it so far; when i bought it, trek had a 6 month same as cash promo.

i have been using it for single track trails...so far i have upgraded the pedals to platform, and changed out the seat to a gel seat.

How do you find it on roads and urban riding?
    Since it's geared more towards rough terrain, the gears are lower than they would be for a hybrid.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have a 2012 Wahoo and i love it. Ive been using it for trail riding and the trails around here can be fairly technical and the Wahoo is great for me. It rides just fine on the road too, plenty of gearing to get you going fast enough. I might take mine to school to commute on, im just not sure if i wanna risk it getting stolen. Ive also swapped to some better platform pedals, well worth the $35 i paid. I might upgrade brakes soon, mine are pretty noisy

mtbr member
    Jake,

I like the clean look of the bike... did you remove the branding, or is that the way it comes? Good looking bike, enjoy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieP View Post
    i really like the look of that
    thanks! initially i was looking for an all black bike. but went with the wahoo because it fit me well; the blue is growing on me...

Quote Originally Posted by shadow7874 View Post
    I have a 2012 Wahoo and i love it.
    nice! i couldn't wait for the 2012...like the color scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Colo Springs E View Post
    I like the clean look of the bike... did you remove the branding, or is that the way it comes? Good looking bike, enjoy.
    that's the way the bike comes.
    but recently after the picture was taken...i discovered by accident the white pin striping is just a sticker...and underneath it is a gloss black finish. i have removed alot of the white...will have to post a picture soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeyJake View Post
    How do you find it on roads and urban riding?
    Since it's geared more towards rough terrain, the gears are lower than they would be for a hybrid.
    i have participated in a couple "Critial Mass" downtown rides that are around 15 miles...and have been fine. i rarely use the 3rd big gear....

mtbr member
    I have the same wahoo as the one in the pics and it was great on and off road. The front suspension has a lockout so you can switch it for road and trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Love this bike

mtbr member
    white pin stripe was comming off the bike from rubbing on my bike rack...so i just started pealing the rest off...(looks like i missed a piece)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I too have the Wahoo, (same color scheme too), and love it. I ride primarily single track and and push it hard. So far it has performed great. The shock is the weakest link I've found so far, but it's not made for hard landings. If you're not jumping alot and riding on the road it would be a good choice. I have taken it out on the road for a few 20 mile trips and it did the job.

mtbr member
    i haven't hit any big jumps...but if i were to work up to it....what shock should i upgrade to?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Im researching options now, I'm looking at a few fox shocks. I come from BMX and am new to the suspension thing, I will post if I find anything out soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I purchased the 2011 Wahoo Gary Fisher Edition a week ago and I already rode 115 miles haha, love this bike! However, the stock Evoke 1 saddle killed me even with biking shorts, so I bought the Specialized Milano gel seat as replacement...highly recommend it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Incredible bike for the money!! I bought this in December and love it. I ride some pretty technical stuff. I've upgraded the grips to Ergon GP1, the pedals to Sun Ringle and the seat post to a Cane Creek Thudbuster.

mtbr member
    I've been riding the 2011 Marlin, more trials then street, but when I'm riding the streets I just lock out the fork. Does the Wahoo's fork lock?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    my baby =)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Wahoo-imag0365.jpg  

2011 Wahoo-imag0364.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    nice bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    looks good

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Some people on here referenced the 'lock out' on the Wahoo? I didn't think the Wahoo model had this option?

mtbr member
    the Promax Hornet brakes on the 2011 Wahoo and a few other 2011 Treks are garbage. Trek knows this, which is why there are no Hornet brakes on any of the 2012 bikes. if you have problems with Hornets, have fun getting ahold of Promax for spare parts. otherwise, it's and awesome bike for the price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Jake,

Nice looking bike!
    Trek Mamba, '97 Specialized FSR

mtbr member
    some recent action pictures:

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    the Promax Hornet brakes on the 2011 Wahoo and a few other 2011 Treks are garbage. Trek knows this, which is why there are no Hornet brakes on any of the 2012 bikes. if you have problems with Hornets, have fun getting ahold of Promax for spare parts. otherwise, it's and awesome bike for the price.
    i don't like the fact that you need specific syringes to drain and fill the brakes. when it comes time to service the brake fluid in them, i'm thinking about changing them to mechanicals.
    Last edited by Urbansniper; 11-07-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast