mtbr member
    Mar 2014

2011 Specialized Safire Comp. vs 2012 Giant Trance XW

I am in the market for a mountain bike and have been considering either the 2011 Specialized Safire Comp. or 2012 Giant Trance XW. I am new to riding and this is my first bike purchase (I have been using my sisters kona in the past). Both bikes are in slightly used condition and seem very well maintained. Also, the price point is the same. I like to ride mostly cross country with some nice and technical single track. I am looking for a good climber, but something that can handle the downhill as well. Any thoughts? What would be a better ride?

Fat-tired Roadie
    My flaky router ate my post.

Can you ride the bikes?

Off the cuff, I'd be thinking "Safire." I think it fits somewhere between a Camber, which I liked, and a Stumpjumper FSR, which I haven't tried but my friend likes. I didn't really like the Giant FS I tried a while back. Can't remember if it was the Trance or the Anthem, though.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The first question is does either one fit you? As to handling the downhill ,that more up to the rider,sure the right bike make it easier ,with right skills you can ride allot. Go to youtube and look at road bike party 2 .

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Fit would be of ultimate importance, so if they both fit well, on to the next item of importance. They are both very similar bikes with respect to design intent (which is aligned with what the OP has expressed interest in), and the spec'd components are pretty close with nothing really standing out on either bike that would easily tilt the decision on way or another. If one is in better condition, that could be a difference-maker. Ride them both and pick the one you like and feel best on.

If I had a gun to my head, I would lean toward the Safire. It seems a little more 'female friendly', or at least Specialized does a better job of describing how they have executed the designs and why they are suited for female riders. Unlike many of the 'which bike should I get' threads, you really have found two bikes that are both on target and either one could be the right one for the job.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    This may not matter to you but from what I've noticed it seems Specialized bikes hold their resale value better than most other brands. All that means is when you upgrade down the road you may get slightly more back for it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for the great advice. Just off what I have read I was leaning toward the safire. Tried out the Giant and it fit great and I really liked how it handled. Also, it is in great shape. The previous owner has only ridden it 3 times...bought the bike then decided they didn't really like biking. Trying out the safire tomorrow.

T.W.O.
    I'd go with Giant, they have better suspension design, but more important I just don't like Specialized and their business practice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    I'd go with Giant, they have better suspension design, but more important I just don't like Specialized and their business practice.
    How is this related to a secondhand bike? Specialized won't see a dime from the sale, unless you feel so strongly that you don't even want to be associated with them.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
    How is this related to a secondhand bike? Specialized won't see a dime from the sale, unless you feel so strongly that you don't even want to be associated with them.
    You said it! I owned my share of spech S-works (2 epics). Business is just one thing, but performance wise I still think that Giant Maestro is still the best value design available now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    S-Works is awesome!