1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

2011 Rockhopper Comp 29er for 2003 TREK Fuel 80?

I just got into mountain biking last week and bought a 20011 Rockhopper comp 29er from my LBS. As I've been reading and watching more and more I think I really want to get a FS bike. The rockhopper is brand new because I just bough it and have only done small trails.

I put the bike on craigslist for sale or trade and someone asked me to do this trade. Is it a good idea, do you guys have any recommendations for my situation. anything will help.

Thanks

I'd rather be on my bike
    I wouldn't do it. Way too old of a bike to do a trade with a brand new bike, and you should have a great warranty on that new bike. You have no idea what you are getting yourself into with that older full suspension bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the reply, any suggestions on how I can switch to FS. Just wait out a better deal?

I'd rather be on my bike
    Ride the hell out of that Rockhopper first. Save your money. Then decide if you truly want full suspension. It isn't for everyone. Why do you think that you need it?

mtbr member
    I wouldn't trade that rockhopper off just yet. Ride the guts out of it first.

FS has its pluses and minuses. I love them in the technical stuff, but they are slower on the hard packed fast stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Ride the hell out of that Rockhopper first. Save your money. Then decide if you truly want full suspension. It isn't for everyone. Why do you think that you need it?
    Seconded the why question...

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    All the videos I see of people doing stuff that looks fun to me, have FS bikes. I want to do drops and and more technical thins. Just riding a trail is fun but I want to be able to climb rocks and whatnot. The few rocks I approached on the rock hopper it was harder to get the back wheel up for me. I figured a FS bike would make that easier.

You guys are probably right though. I don't think I have enough experience to make the decision. I might post in the MA forums to see if anyone is looking for a hard tail and they have a decent FS maybe I can ride around for a bit or something with them first.

T.W.O
    I would keep it for now. Until what type of riding you know for sure you want to be doing this will last you until you come to that. You say you want to do drops and stuff, but maybe your area really doesn't call for a 6" fs bike. I have a DB Sortie and it really is overkill for most of the stuff in mi, I would be much faster and suited on a 100mm travel bike. I like a steeper HA for fast descents though. My point is I didn't know all of this until my skills got a bit better.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)