1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

2011 Motobecane 700DS or 2010 Mongoose Otero Super

Getting back into riding, and i'm not sure which I should buy. Both will cost me $600, the mongoose has better brakes, and a better rear shock, the Motobecane has better components. I ride all types of terrain, like to do some off road/jumping when i can.

FKA Malibu412

if you must ask...

Honest, with your budget, I recommend a decent hard tail rather than full suspension. FS is a worthy consideration with bikes priced north of $1000-$1200 and for some, even these may be iffy.

The Otero is a more modern design and probably a better frame but a guy I ride with on occasion was not happy with his Otero and returned it to Performance for a refund.

If you are set on FS, the minimum I would recommend from the brands you mention is the Moto Fantom Comp DS, around $900.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

AZ
    banned
    /\ Agree , at your price point a hard tail is going to net much more .

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I know that is the common answer given, but I will be purchasing one of these two bikes.
    I just would like to know if anyone has experience with either bike or both, and what their thoughts were. I appreciate the hardtail advice, but I have a thing for full suspension bikes, and I just ride for leisure and excercise once in a while. I read these forums all the time and I know how most people feel about less expensive full susp bikes.

FKA Malibu412
    Then Otero it is. I rode with a guy who rented one on a vacation ride and while I didn't get any seat time, it seemed like an okay rig. Performance stocks them and if you have one within driving distance, a test ride is helpful.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Cool, performance doesn't have any left on there web site, and I'm not sure they could get me the super for that price.

AZ
    banned
    Have considered a used F/S bike ? Some good deals to be had if your patient .

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm admittedly very impatient. I'm buying one of the bikes this Monday, and i Know I can get something better used, but I love the feeling of getting something brand new. Whether its a car, or a bike, there's nothing like it.

mtbr member
    There's a reason it's a common answer. Some of us have had crappy full suspension bikes. That moto coil shock is going to bounce... literally... regardless whether you're on or off the saddle. You'll hate it. The mongoose design looks a little better, but it's not very impressively spec'd.

You were asking for opinions between two... you won't be able to spend $200 and make those bikes much better, but for $200 more you could get the DS Comp. Agree that would be the minimum FS that's going to perform like a FS should. It's only $200 more, and has a legit suspension design and kit. Motion control on the Recon fork should be enough to spend the extra.

too cold to ride
    Glen, if that's your price point and you're looking FS, what about an Airborne Zeppelin (or Zep Elite)? There's a thread on the Gen Discussion forum, and while there's a lot of bickering, the fact is that there is a decent buzz brewing about the bikes- the Elite got a pretty good review from Dirt Rag.
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The DSComp is$895
    I know everyone says that's the way to go, but I can't spend that much, and I'm too impatient to wait. I know I sound foolish, but that extra $300 is too much for what I'm looking to spend right now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I was looking at the airborne bikes on the rs cycle website. They have nice suspension, but the components don't look too great on the $600 model

What?
    There is nothing wrong with the otero super. My wife has one and she loves it. I have taken it for rides when my bike has been down and its pretty good for the price.

http://www.americasbikecompany.com/2...tero-super.htm

2009 version is speced pretty much the same, so you can look for one as well

mtbr member
    Let me start by saying I dont own either, but I ride with guys that have Oteros' and 700DSs'.

If your getting an Otero super for $600, no comparison the shocks and suspension design on the Otero are better. The shocks alone are good reason to go with the Otero, they are air adjustable which give you the opportunity to dial them in for weight and riding style . Yeah I know that SR Suntour has a bad rep around here, but their Epicon line is a great bang for the buck, I have them on my cheapy Schwinn and they compare pretty good to the Fox shocks on my Teocali Super. Go with Otero but either bike is good entry level bike though the rear shock on the 700DS will leave you bobbing.
    Last edited by Cobra8d; 12-04-2010 at 06:13 PM.

FKA Malibu412

Word of caution

Be careful about the online site you decide to purchase your bike from. BD is legit but there are many that are scams. They set up a pretty nice and seemingly legit e-store front, are able to show the unit you want in stock, take your money and you never receive the bike. Use Paypal or other purchase protection. But you probably already knew all of this

What?
    Malibu is right, the link I sent was the first think I came up with when I googled it. Always check the store out to make sure its a legit site. A quick google search about the site has always worked for me.

mtbr member
    If you order from performance website, try putting in code 749 for a 20% discount, you can get a whole lot more bike for your money.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the info everyone. I will probably go with the 2010 otero super, I can get it for $600 shipped from americas bike company. I'll post some comments next week when I start riding it. So I guess the airborne zeppelin for $600 is not the way to go?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Is Americas Bike Store a legit website/store to buy from?
    That's where I was quoted about $600 shipped.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I meant americas bike company

AZ
    banned
    Post a link please .

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The link to their website is in Mullen119's thread response.
    I spoke with someone there a few days ago.
    He was willing to take some $ off of the listed price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Seen this review of the Otero?

http://www.dirtragmag.com/reviews/mongoose-otero

banned
    Sep 2010
    The store in the link does not list an address , anybody verify a brick and mortar store ? I know that I wouldn't buy from them without more proof demonstrating a real building and real bikes and real people and...............................

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the review.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast