1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Idea! 2011 Kona Blast Still Worth It?

Found one locally for $300 and was hardly used, still looks new it's a 26er. Is this bikes still worth getting as a beginner bike? The other bike I was looking at was a specialized hardrock disc 29er or new old stock kona fire mountain 2012 26er.

what do you guys think? The kona blast seems like a great price and is in like new condition, but is it worth getting?

what are your opinions on these bikes? Trying to stay under $600 or so.

mtbr member
    The 2011 Kona Blast would be a great bike for $300 if it is in new condition.
    It was about $850 new, and has a Rock Shox Tora fork with Deore rear mech and Formula hydraulic brakes.
    We had a Hardrock Disc 26" and it was alright, but not as well specified as the Kona.
    The 2012 Fire Mountain is also a good starter bike, if it is available for a low price. The specification is similar to the 2011 Blast, the new price was about $750.
    It will depend on the price. But the 2011 Kona Blast in "new condition" for $300 sounds like a steal. Just make sure it is the right size for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusdriver View Post
    The 2011 Kona Blast would be a great bike for $300 if it is in new condition.
    It was about $850 new, and has a Rock Shox Tora fork with Deore rear mech and Formula hydraulic brakes.
    We had a Hardrock Disc 26" and it was alright, but not as well specified as the Kona.
    The 2012 Fire Mountain is also a good starter bike, if it is available for a low price. The specification is similar to the 2011 Blast, the new price was about $750.
    It will depend on the price. But the 2011 Kona Blast in "new condition" for $300 sounds like a steal. Just make sure it is the right size for you.

Thanks for the reply.
    The fire mountain is $499 new
    hardrock is $580 new

sounds like the kona blast would be the best value. Provided everything is in good shape. What are some things to look for when buying used? I will take it into my LBS as soon as I can.

mtbr member
    Check everything works like the gears, brakes, make sure the fork bounces OK, check for damage to the frame and scratches etc.

Take the bike to your LBS for a service/check over. Although if you go for the NOS 2012 Kona it should be fine.

Make sure the bike is the right size for you. I made the mistake of buying too small a bike and nearly did my knees in.