1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

2011 Giant Yukon Full Sus.?

hows it going poeple! im new to mountain biking so bare with me! i have a 2011 giant yukon bike that is somewhat heavy. but its not walmart heavy haha! i ride everyday and plan on training for a xc race. but first i want to make the bike a little lighter. where would be the best place to start. i was thinking of the wheels. wheelset, tubes, tires etc? but maybe im thinking of the wrong place. any advice??

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf57 View Post
    hows it going poeple! im new to mountain biking so bare with me! i have a 2011 giant yukon bike that is somewhat heavy. but its not walmart heavy haha! i ride everyday and plan on training for a xc race. but first i want to make the bike a little lighter. where would be the best place to start. i was thinking of the wheels. wheelset, tubes, tires etc? but maybe im thinking of the wrong place. any advice??
    Keep the bike heavy for when you are training, because the added weight will only make you a stronger rider. To save some weight on race day, I'd recommend getting a second set of wheels and tires. Maybe even have it set up as tubeless to eliminate the weight of tubes.

That is the most cost effective and noticeable way to save weight on a bike. A fork is another way to save a lot of weight, but isn't as cost effective as wheels and tires. Cassettes, cranksets, handlebars, and brakes can also hold a lot of un-needed weight.

Don't get too carried away, because before you know it, you will have more money into upgrades than you paid for the bike.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    thanks for the good advice. any good, light, not too expensive wheels and tubeless tire you would recomend for a beginner? also i have looked at the rock shox recon gold at one of my local shops and it seemed pretty light and not badly priced either. cuz the fork i have now only has a lockout.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf57 View Post
    thanks for the good advice. any good, light, not too expensive wheels and tubeless tire you would recomend for a beginner? also i have looked at the rock shox recon gold at one of my local shops and it seemed pretty light and not badly priced either. cuz the fork i have now only has a lockout.
    Stans makes great tubeless rims, but their complete wheelsets are pretty pricey (>$500). You could get a good tubeless ready wheelset for around $350 if you look hard. I'm not an expert on what's good in tubeless products, so I'll stop there. If you are strongly considering it, take a look in the wheels/tires part of MTBR and ask around over there.

Recons rock :tup:

You could easily shave some weight with a good pair of folding tires and light tubes. There are soo many different tires out there, and so many different riding conditions, that it is hard to recommend a good tire. Schwalbe and Continental are both pretty popular around here for being good and lightweight.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!