1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

2011 Giant Revel 2 vs 2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc

Hi all,

In a bit of a dilemma here. I just got into mountain biking at the beginning of this summer and found a used 2011 Mint Condition Giant Revel 2 for stupid cheap and have been riding that around to figure out if I like the sport. I probably get out 2-3 times a week on the local trails and I'm enjoying myself so far.

However, a new option recently came up on Craigslist. It's a 2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc with upgrades. The fork is a year old RockShox Tora and brakes are upgraded to BB7 and he says the shifters are SRAM x7s. I think I could grab it for $250.

The only thing holding me back is the fact that the frame and cassette and crank are almost 10 years old. Is this an issue?

Should I snatch this up and try to sell of my Giant Revel?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Nah keep what you have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Can you explain a little bit?

To me it seems like the big advantage to the other bike would be the fork upgrade, from SR XCM to RockShox Tora. Also the brakes upgrade from v-brakes to BB7 Discs.

But like I mentioned, I'm worried about the age on some other components.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well for one, you already have the giant. No point in having 2 entry level bikes in the stable. Your riding skills will eventually outgrow both bikes, save your money for upgrading (to a new bike) then.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Can you get some ride time on the Hardrock? Having a better fork is really nice, and disc brakes are much more tolerant of riding in the wet.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sounds like a good opportunity to pick a frame, swap parts and offload whatever remains on Craigslist. With a little resellers patience, you'll probably end up with a better set up without being out much money ... assuming it's worth your time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Is one a 26er and the other a 29er? That would be a nice combo to have too....

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    If you can afford it then buy it as a loaner. I've gotten many a friend into biking by having a decent ride for them to try out. If you wanted to, you could swap out the parts you want and keep the lower grade stuff on the loaner. $250 is pretty cheap.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...