1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

2011 Giant Reign 0 or 2011 Avanti Torrent 2?

I'm looking for a new bike but as i do not have a lot of funds, i must go second hand. The Reign is $1800 and the Avanti is $100 cheaper and both are in immaculate condition. My type of riding is very all-mountain type but i do like to hit jumps often.

mtbr member
    Many on here will not know what an "Avanti" is. They are an Australian and NZ model bike. Maybe post a link to one.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    Many on here will not know what an "Avanti" is. They are an Australian and NZ model bike. Maybe post a link to one.
    The Links to the bikes are:
    Avanti: Avanti Torrent 2 | Bicycling Australia
    Giant: Reign 0 (2011) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Australia

mtbr member
    Reign 0

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The Avanti appears to be a faux bar (glorified single pivot) rear suspension design. They have their pros and cons. They can be very laterally stiff, and the suspension can be pretty plush when descending when you're off the brakes. Many can behave well while climbing with a platform shock of some kind. With all of the more sophisticated suspension designs available these days, the single pivot's tendency to lock out the plushness from the rear end while descending with brakes on makes it hard to recommend over a bike such as the Giant Reign.

The Reign's Maestro suspension is pretty good all around, and much better if you're on the binders headed downhill. It climbs pretty well too. That review of the Avanti mentions Enduro bearings in the pivots. If you do get the Reign, I would replace the very top pivot bearings with Enduro bearings. The others don't seem to matter, but the top one does. It's not particularly difficult to do if you have some skills and tools, but better and easier to do it first rather than wait until they die a grisly death.

That top pivot bearing is the only downside to the Reign that I can think of and it can be remedied fairly easily. They are otherwise very stout and can take quite a beatdown for many years.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've never owned a Reign, but a riding buddy had one for a number of years, rode it hard and often and was very happy with it. Wasn't shy about getting it off the ground either.

mtbr member
    Owned a Reign X1 as my mini dh rig, it took everything in stride and loved to fly.