1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

2011 Cube XMS.. thoughts?

I love my trek, but I want to try out a FS bike, so I started browsing around a bit and I ran across chainreaction, and sort of fell in love with the Cube XMS.

For sure a very eye catching ride. Ive searched and read reviews and such, cant really find too much negative about it other than the rear shock is a bit tricky to get just right, which seems to be a not the end of the world deal. My riding is mostly hiking trails and riverbottom type terrain, not many huge drops, just bumpy, roots and such.

From my searches here, I gather using paypal for the transaction would be preferred given a high amount of card fraud apparently going on with the overseas purchases.

Anyone have any first hand experience with this bike (or similar)? Im on track to be ready to make my purchase in about a month, barring any unforeseen crappyness.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Frame seems a spitting image of a Rocky Mountain Element.

Only other thing I have to say is, "Wear a helmet!"

I keed, I keed. No, but, seriously, wear one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparrish
    Frame seems a spitting image of a Rocky Mountain Element.

Only other thing I have to say is, "Wear a helmet!"

I keed, I keed. No, but, seriously, wear one.
    turd

It does resemble the rocky quite a bit now that I look at it, the Cube is still sexier though.

Cube is a German company right? so in order to fully appreciate the bike I have to wear a black spandex unitard and do bizarre robot like dance moves?

would you like to pet my monkey..

Jan 2008
    Haha ... guilty as charged.

I know nothing about Cube, but I agree that is one sexy-lookin' ride. Can't help but chuckle noticing that you just bought a bike and are already looking at another. Polygamist!

Thanks for the Sprockets reference. Brings me back.

"Lieben meine Affe-monkey!"

mtbr member
    Haha ... guilty as charged.

I know nothing about Cube, but I agree that is one sexy-lookin' ride. Can't help but chuckle noticing that you just bought a bike and are already looking at another. Polygamist!

Thanks for the Sprockets reference. Brings me back.

"Lieben meine Affe-monkey!"

Well, anything worth doing is worth overdoing.. From what I gather, Cube cannot sell bikes in the US due to some sort of patent infringement on a suspension design that apparently Specialized stole from someone else and patented.. apparently there is many debate and much feces hurling to be had about that.

It just caught my eye because it looks sick, and after reading around a bit I couldn't really find any deal breaker faults with it.

Jan 2008
    That Cube's color scheme reminds me of the Black Forest hardtail from JensonUSA, only reversed: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...t+Bike+10.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by ja001son
    Well, anything worth doing is worth overdoing
    Unless it's a steak.

Seriously, though, I know what you mean. I went bonkers this afternoon and bought a new fork and saddle, both of which are major upgrades. My mostly all-black bike is going to look a bit silly with a baby blue seat, me thinks.

mtbr member

My mostly all-black bike is going to look a bit silly with a baby blue seat, me thinks.
    good thing you can hide it with your ass

Jan 2008
    LMAO!!! Dude, you got me rollin' on that one.