1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

2010 specialized Rockhopper

My LBS has a 2010 Specialized Rockhopper sl comp 29er new for $999.

Worth it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ill sell you my 2011 26 rockhopper for $450 worth it but the 2011 rockhopper 29er is 990 on their site i think

mtbr member
    ^^ Dam thats a good deal

Former Bike Wrench
    It's a solid deal, not spectacular but with LBS support and a warranty it is better than your going to find in a 2011 at an LBS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What are your thoughts on the Rockhopper. I'm looking to invest in my first MTB.

SpecRH
    May 2009
    i have a 2010 Rockhopper expert and i really enjoy it. I immediately upgraded the fork, but that was b/c i had a nice one from my old bike. Im about 225 without gear on, and i push my bike as hard as i can and nothing has broken yet.

People will always tell you to buy better and more expensive bikes, but i would say that the Rockhopper is a solid first MTB. buy it and some clipless pedals and your good to go!!
    MTB : 2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er
    MTB SS : 2010 Specialized RH
    ROAD: 2011 Specialized Tarmac Comp
    TOY: Trek 1000

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Local bike shop around here (Detroit area) has 2011's listed for $749.......however only in 21 and 23. Seems like a 2010 could be a bit less than list price for a 2011?

The expert's are actually listed for 949 and in several more sizes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My co-worker just went to a LBS looking for a 2012 rockhopper comp 29er $1100 retail. The guy didnt have one but let him sit on a 2011 rockhopper expert 29er $1250. Ended up walking out with the expert for $900 cash with 2 bottle cages and bottles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iradi8 View Post
    My co-worker just went to a LBS looking for a 2012 rockhopper comp 29er $1100 retail. The guy didnt have one but let him sit on a 2011 rockhopper expert 29er $1250. Ended up walking out with the expert for $900 cash with 2 bottle cages and bottles
    That's a great deal. The Specialized dealers in my area rarely have anything left other than the bottom end to discount.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I almost went with the rh for my first bike. The only reason I didn't is because I got a stupid good deal on a used Scott Scale which I've enjoyed so far. I remember feeling that the rh was a bit under spec'd at a given price point but I got to ride a bit on one and was impressed especially with the frame. Had the deal not gone through on the Scale I'm pretty sure I would have ended up with the rh. I haven't priced them in a while so I'm not really knowledgeable enough to say whether a new one is a good deal at a given price but I would say that if you're looking at any new bike that is being discounted two or three hundred off of MSRP, you like it and it's what you want then jump on it.

If you buy the bike and just love it I don't think you'll be kicking yourself if you see one down the road that's a better deal. Ride what you like and have fun.
    build a man a fire keep him warm for a day, set a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Is the 2010 Specialized Rockhopper sl comp 29er a mainstay, worthy of keeping "forever?" Meaning, I am not a hard-core avid moutain-biker (yet), I am a Dad with three small kids who hopes to slide into the sport with my kids, and occasionally on my own until they are a bit older. I am seeking that quality, solid, bike that has staying power - you know?

Honestly, I have never heard of Specialized before I started researching a new mountain bike...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Two weeks ago no budge on price with sales kid. Two weeks later I emailed the GM and now I am the happy owner of my first mountain bike. Got it for $899.

Not a bad deal or bike for my first, eh?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Good prices in Detroit area dam