1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

2010 Spec P.1 AM

I'm wondering about your guys take on the 2010 Specialized P.1 AM. To me it looks like a beefed up version of the rockhopper(the geometry is close to the same).

I have a friend riding an old steel rigid bike from about 1990. They found the rim brake version of the P.1 for a pretty good deal($300) brand new w/ warranty. The rigid bike has been working all right for them, but they have definitely been jonesing for a newer bike.

The way I see it, the P.1 offers better geometry and fit and a suspension fork(albeit not a great one) and newer crisper components. It falls short in not having discs, which could probably be added down the line for $200-250(BB7s, and wheels, I can do the work for free). It's also heavier than the old DB rigid their currently on.

Any advice? Also, they'd rather not go used.

Picture Unrelated
    That's seems like a good deal to me. The bike is really tough though not the lightest. Does the bike fit your friend? That's more important than getting a good price on it. One more thing to consider is that you should verify that the bike you are getting is disc ready. By that I mean does it have disc brake hubs? The Tech information on Specialized's website says the hubs are disc but I would still verify; you never know because some companies switch spec'd components midway through a year. That would make it a lot cheaper to go disc down the line if that is something you want to do. Though don't discount rim brakes, they can be pretty darn good.

As far as entry level bikes go for $300, that seems like a good deal. You're not going to get a nicer fork than that unless you were to spend quite a bit more for a bike. Ride it until it breaks and make a decision to replace it or upgrade to a different bike.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

local jackass
    I had one and loved it after I swapped on a new fork. They take a beating and ask for more though.
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists