1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Giant deer tick
    Mar 2010

2010 Giant trance x3 vs fuji outland comp?

Complete noob here asking for some advise. I'm trying to decide which of these two bikes to go with. I can't seem to find any reviews on the 2010 outland comp but guy at the LBS recommended it to me over the trance.Looking to spend <$2000. I don't launch off cliffs or anything(yet). Another shop was trying to sell me a leftover 09 trance for $1400. The bike rode well and is new but it's a Large frame and I think it's too big for me even though the sticker on the frame said 5'10"-6'1". I am 5'10" 175lbs.

Fuji specs:(msrp $1700. LBS quoted me $1450)

Main frame Fuji Altair 1 Aluminum, integrated head tube, curved top and down tube, CNC'D hollow box section BB, water bottle mount
    Rear triangle Fuji Altair 1 Aluminum Four Bar linkage system 100m travel, Cold forged dropout with CNC'D disc mount and replaceable hanger, Sealed bearing pivots
    Fork Rock Shox Dart 3, 100mm Travel w/Remote PopLoc
    Rear Shock SR Suntour Epicon LOD with lockout, compression and rebound adjust.
    Crankset TruVativ Firex 3.0 GXP w/Integrated spindle, 22/32/44T
    Bottom bracket TruVativ GXP Exterior Bearing System
    Pedals Xpedo MF-3 Clipless
    Front derailleur Shimano Deore, 34.9mm
    Rear derailleur Shimano Deore, Top normal
    Shifters Shimano Deore Rapid Fire Shifter, 27-speed
    Cassette Shimano CS-HG50, 11-34T 9-speed
    Chain KMC HG-73
    Front hub Fuji Sealed Bearing Disc, 32H
    Rear hub Fuji Sealed Bearing Disc, 32H
    Spokes 14G Stainless Steel
    Rims Alex DP-17 Disc Double Wall w/ Single Eyelet
    Tires Continental Mountain King 26 X 2.2"
    Tube CST Presta
    Brake set Tektro Auriga Comp Hydraulic Disc, 180/160mm IS rotor
    Brake levers Tektro Auriga Comp
    Headset V.P. 1 1/8" Press Fit Integrated, 30mm spacers
    Handlebar Fuji Pro Low Rise 31.8mm, Double Butted Al
    Stem Fuji Pro Forged Al 1 1/8"
    Tape/grip Fuji Lock-On Kraton rubber
    Saddle WTB Rocket V Comp
    Seat post Fuji Micro Adjust, 350mm
    Seat clamp Fuji Superlite Alloy, 34.9mm Laser Etched
    Weight, lb./kg. 31.15/14.13

Giant specs:(msrp $1850 didn't get a quote on this bike as he was pushing the fuji)

color White/Red
    frame ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum, 5.0" Maestro Suspension
    fork Fox 32 F120R, w/ 15QR Thru Axle, 120mm travel
    shock Fox Float R
    handlebar Giant Connect, low rise, 31.8
    stem Giant Connect
    seatpost Giant Connect, 30.9
    saddle Fi'zi:k Gobi XM w/ Manganese rails
    pedals Not Included
    shifters Shimano Deore
    front derailleur Shimano Deore
    rear derailleur Shimano SLX Shadow, top normal
    brakes Avid Juicy 3 185F/160R
    levers Avid Elixir 3
    cassette SRAM PG-950 11x34, 9-speed
    chain Shimano HG-73
    cranks Shimano Deore, 22/32/44
    BB Shimano Deore, external
    rims Mavic XM 117
    hubs [F] Giant Tracker Sealed/CNC Disc w/ 15mm Axle [R] Shimano Deore, 32h
    spokes [F] 15g, [R] 14g Stainless
    tires Kenda Nevegal, 26x2.1 Folding

Thanks in advance for any help.If you have a completely different bike in mind in the price range please feel free to make recommendations

AZ
    banned
    Giant Maestro suspension is top notch , great climber . Giant has also has better brakes and fork . Giant is the winner IMHO .

mtbr member
    The Giant has a MUCH better fork and rear shock than the Fuji, and IMO, a better suspension design.

The Giant will cost more, but is worth it.

mtbr member
    i like the Giant over the Fuji by far, i prefer the Giants fork and the rear shock is much better in my opinion... plus the brakes on the Giant are better as well... In this price range look at the Trek Fuel Ex series, fantastic bike and yes i am biased as i own one it is still an amazing machine

mtbr member
    Screw both those bike and get this.
    http://www.rscycle.com/2008-Diamondb...2-All-Mountain
    Last edited by Drth Vadr; 03-22-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Giant deer tick
    Mar 2010
    Yes the Trek fuel was another I was considering after reading some reviews. The LBS didn't have a fuji in stock for me to try. I did however try out the trance which was very smooth and I overall really liked the bike but the Large frame made me hesitant. I have no idea what components are any good and that shop seemed sort of shady so I walked. I already got ripped off on my hardrock and don't want to get it again. Sold me a 21" and didn't bother to mention the bike was a POS and WAY too big for me.

AZ
    banned
    Best value on the net right now , BMC Trailfox 02 @

competitivecyclist.com/ mountain-bikes/frame/...

Giant deer tick
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Drth Vadr
    Screw both those bike and get this.
    http://www.rscycle.com/2008-Diamondb...2-All-Mountain
    Only have small frames. I need a medium from what I have researched.

AZ.MTZ that BMC looks nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SplitDecision
    I need a medium from what I have researched.:
    All depends on what size stem you want to run. You are what I call a tweener. Here is the Giant your looking at for a great price.
    http://bicyclewarehouse.com/product/...x3-48437-1.htm

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Drth Vadr
    All depends on what size stem you want to run. You are what I call a tweener. Here is the Giant your looking at for a great price.
    http://bicyclewarehouse.com/product/...x3-48437-1.htm

OP is in NY , unfortunatly there are no internet sales on Giant's .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    OP is in NY , unfortunatly there are no internet sales on Giant's .
    That blows!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    get the x3! ive been riding mine hard for over a year now and i still love the bike. the treks wouldve been my 2nd choice for the "best bang for the buck" type bike.

my buddy has an trek ex8 and loves it. id stay far away from that fuji...the specs on it are something you could find on a $900 dollar bike. ive seen 09 x3's on sale for 1450 in my area...your not gonna find better suspension then the giant with that budget...id almost be willing to say you wont find better suspension in a bike twice as much..but thats coming from someone who loves his maestro suspension.

All-most Mountain
    I have the Fuji. Although, I got it at a SCREAMING price and I upgraded the fork and wheels. It climbs like a monster, its really a great bike.

Giant deer tick
    Mar 2010
    I'm real close to pulling the trigger on the trailfox 02. I have decided against the Fuji.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here is another option. Size 17 in stock.

http://www.rscycle.com/2009-Diamondb...7&category=531

mtbr member
    That Trance x3 is a better bike than the Fuji, hands down. The quality of just about all the components is worth way more than the cost difference. The maestro suspension is top notch too.

I wonder what his reasoning was for pushing Fuji? suspicious I might be leery of that shop, or at least that sales guy. Deal with the manager or owner, if you can.

If it's an '09 Tx3, I would push for $1,400 - 1,500 for it, but I think you might need a M.

How old are you, or are you expecting to grow anytime soon? you're right in between sizes on the Tx. Does anybody have a M in your area to sit on? You can also try shorter stems on the L, and see if that works for you. In cases like yours, it usually boils down to preference, and torso length. Long torsos probably go with a L with shorter stem. short torso - M.

Giant also has a really good warranty program. Something to take into account.

Being new, I would suggest buying from a local shop, unless you are good at wrenching on a bike. Building a good relationship with a LBS can also be very valuable. (If they're a good shop)

Giant deer tick
    Mar 2010
    It was the owner of the shop pushing the Fuji. I'm almost 34 and only plan on getting shorter if anything. Diamondback bikes are good? Doesn't Walmart sell them? I used the measurement calculator on competetive cyclist web page and came up with.

Inseam: 32
    Trunk: 26
    Forearm: 12.5
    Arm: 25
    Thigh: 27.5
    Lower Leg: 23.5
    Sternal Notch: 60
    Total Body Height: 70

XC:
    Standover Height Range: 30.4 - 31.1 inches
    Virtual Top Tube: 22.7 - 23.1 inches
    Stem Length: 9.5 - 11.1 cm
    BB-Saddle Position: 70.1 - 71.6cm
    Saddle-Handlebar: 52.4 - 54.0 cm

Thanks again for the help guys

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    No, wal-mart sells the cheap Mongoose bikes....but even Mongoose has some nice higher end bikes.

I don't have any experience with Diamondback, but this bike seems to be spec'd well...I am sure if you do a google search you can find some reviews.

I just got a Trance X3 :-)

Giant deer tick
    Mar 2010
    Come on you can't say "I just got a trance x3" and leave it at that! How do you like it?

AZ
    banned
    Been on a Trance X for one year , climbs great , 5 " of plush . You could make far worse choises .

TRANCER
    My choice would be .......
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ride

Giant deer tick
    Mar 2010
    Pulled the trigger and bought the BMC .

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SplitDecision
    Come on you can't say "I just got a trance x3" and leave it at that! How do you like it?
    I love it, of course my dad has a 2010 that I have been riding for the past few weeks. That is why I ended up getting one. I was going to get a Gary Fisher 29er, but the Trance X3 was such a nice bike at 1k less....

I came from a cheap hardtail, so it is like riding on a cloud. I am a lot more confident when riding. I also stay in my seat a lot more now, because roots don't kill me anymore. I also climb a lot better now too. The bike can fly up and down.

Cancel the BMC and get the Trance X3. You won't regret it :-)

rollin
    Oct 2009
    was going to pile on with the Giant crowd but I see the choice has been made...nice ride OP!

Giant deer tick
    Mar 2010
    Well the bike came in tonight. I got it together and threw my old pedals on it for now. I took it just around the yard but going to look into the manual and make sure I did everything correctly.It's just about dark anyhow. The shifters are going to take getting used to I'm used to grip shift. Here is a crappy picture it's getting dark and I only have a powershot 1000. Thanks everyone for the help.It's nice to ask a question on a forum and not get my head bit off. Special thanks to AZ.MTNS for pointing out the BMC .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast