Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2010 Giant trance x3 vs fuji outland comp?

13K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  Cday1616 
#1 ·
Complete noob here asking for some advise. I'm trying to decide which of these two bikes to go with. I can't seem to find any reviews on the 2010 outland comp but guy at the LBS recommended it to me over the trance.Looking to spend <$2000. I don't launch off cliffs or anything(yet). Another shop was trying to sell me a leftover 09 trance for $1400. The bike rode well and is new but it's a Large frame and I think it's too big for me even though the sticker on the frame said 5'10"-6'1". I am 5'10" 175lbs.

Fuji specs:(msrp $1700. LBS quoted me $1450)

Main frame Fuji Altair 1 Aluminum, integrated head tube, curved top and down tube, CNC'D hollow box section BB, water bottle mount
Rear triangle Fuji Altair 1 Aluminum Four Bar linkage system 100m travel, Cold forged dropout with CNC'D disc mount and replaceable hanger, Sealed bearing pivots
Fork Rock Shox Dart 3, 100mm Travel w/Remote PopLoc
Rear Shock SR Suntour Epicon LOD with lockout, compression and rebound adjust.
Crankset TruVativ Firex 3.0 GXP w/Integrated spindle, 22/32/44T
Bottom bracket TruVativ GXP Exterior Bearing System
Pedals Xpedo MF-3 Clipless
Front derailleur Shimano Deore, 34.9mm
Rear derailleur Shimano Deore, Top normal
Shifters Shimano Deore Rapid Fire Shifter, 27-speed
Cassette Shimano CS-HG50, 11-34T 9-speed
Chain KMC HG-73
Front hub Fuji Sealed Bearing Disc, 32H
Rear hub Fuji Sealed Bearing Disc, 32H
Spokes 14G Stainless Steel
Rims Alex DP-17 Disc Double Wall w/ Single Eyelet
Tires Continental Mountain King 26 X 2.2"
Tube CST Presta
Brake set Tektro Auriga Comp Hydraulic Disc, 180/160mm IS rotor
Brake levers Tektro Auriga Comp
Headset V.P. 1 1/8" Press Fit Integrated, 30mm spacers
Handlebar Fuji Pro Low Rise 31.8mm, Double Butted Al
Stem Fuji Pro Forged Al 1 1/8"
Tape/grip Fuji Lock-On Kraton rubber
Saddle WTB Rocket V Comp
Seat post Fuji Micro Adjust, 350mm
Seat clamp Fuji Superlite Alloy, 34.9mm Laser Etched
Weight, lb./kg. 31.15/14.13

Giant specs:(msrp $1850 didn't get a quote on this bike as he was pushing the fuji)

color White/Red
frame ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum, 5.0" Maestro Suspension
fork Fox 32 F120R, w/ 15QR Thru Axle, 120mm travel
shock Fox Float R
handlebar Giant Connect, low rise, 31.8
stem Giant Connect
seatpost Giant Connect, 30.9
saddle Fi'zi:k Gobi XM w/ Manganese rails
pedals Not Included
shifters Shimano Deore
front derailleur Shimano Deore
rear derailleur Shimano SLX Shadow, top normal
brakes Avid Juicy 3 185F/160R
levers Avid Elixir 3
cassette SRAM PG-950 11x34, 9-speed
chain Shimano HG-73
cranks Shimano Deore, 22/32/44
BB Shimano Deore, external
rims Mavic XM 117
hubs [F] Giant Tracker Sealed/CNC Disc w/ 15mm Axle [R] Shimano Deore, 32h
spokes [F] 15g, [R] 14g Stainless
tires Kenda Nevegal, 26x2.1 Folding

Thanks in advance for any help.If you have a completely different bike in mind in the price range please feel free to make recommendations

See less See more
#4 ·
i like the Giant over the Fuji by far, i prefer the Giants fork and the rear shock is much better in my opinion... plus the brakes on the Giant are better as well... In this price range look at the Trek Fuel Ex series, fantastic bike and yes i am biased as i own one it is still an amazing machine

#6 ·
Yes the Trek fuel was another I was considering after reading some reviews. The LBS didn't have a fuji in stock for me to try. I did however try out the trance which was very smooth and I overall really liked the bike but the Large frame made me hesitant. I have no idea what components are any good and that shop seemed sort of shady so I walked. I already got ripped off on my hardrock and don't want to get it again. Sold me a 21" and didn't bother to mention the bike was a POS and WAY too big for me.:mad:

#12 ·
get the x3! ive been riding mine hard for over a year now and i still love the bike. the treks wouldve been my 2nd choice for the "best bang for the buck" type bike.

my buddy has an trek ex8 and loves it. id stay far away from that fuji...the specs on it are something you could find on a $900 dollar bike. ive seen 09 x3's on sale for 1450 in my area...your not gonna find better suspension then the giant with that budget...id almost be willing to say you wont find better suspension in a bike twice as much..but thats coming from someone who loves his maestro suspension.

#16 ·
That Trance x3 is a better bike than the Fuji, hands down. The quality of just about all the components is worth way more than the cost difference. The maestro suspension is top notch too.

I wonder what his reasoning was for pushing Fuji? suspicious :skep: I might be leery of that shop, or at least that sales guy. Deal with the manager or owner, if you can.

If it's an '09 Tx3, I would push for $1,400 - 1,500 for it, but I think you might need a M.

How old are you, or are you expecting to grow anytime soon? :D you're right in between sizes on the Tx. Does anybody have a M in your area to sit on? You can also try shorter stems on the L, and see if that works for you. In cases like yours, it usually boils down to preference, and torso length. Long torsos probably go with a L with shorter stem. short torso - M.

Giant also has a really good warranty program. Something to take into account.

Being new, I would suggest buying from a local shop, unless you are good at wrenching on a bike. Building a good relationship with a LBS can also be very valuable. (If they're a good shop)

#17 ·
It was the owner of the shop pushing the Fuji. I'm almost 34 and only plan on getting shorter if anything. Diamondback bikes are good? Doesn't Walmart sell them? I used the measurement calculator on competetive cyclist web page and came up with.

Inseam: 32
Trunk: 26
Forearm: 12.5
Arm: 25
Thigh: 27.5
Lower Leg: 23.5
Sternal Notch: 60
Total Body Height: 70

XC:
Standover Height Range: 30.4 - 31.1 inches
Virtual Top Tube: 22.7 - 23.1 inches
Stem Length: 9.5 - 11.1 cm
BB-Saddle Position: 70.1 - 71.6cm
Saddle-Handlebar: 52.4 - 54.0 cm

Thanks again for the help guys :thumbsup:

#18 ·
No, wal-mart sells the cheap Mongoose bikes....but even Mongoose has some nice higher end bikes.

I don't have any experience with Diamondback, but this bike seems to be spec'd well...I am sure if you do a google search you can find some reviews.

I just got a Trance X3 :)

#23 ·
SplitDecision said:
Come on you can't say "I just got a trance x3" and leave it at that! How do you like it?
I love it, of course my dad has a 2010 that I have been riding for the past few weeks. That is why I ended up getting one. I was going to get a Gary Fisher 29er, but the Trance X3 was such a nice bike at 1k less....

I came from a cheap hardtail, so it is like riding on a cloud. I am a lot more confident when riding. I also stay in my seat a lot more now, because roots don't kill me anymore. I also climb a lot better now too. The bike can fly up and down.

Cancel the BMC and get the Trance X3. You won't regret it :)

#25 ·
Well the bike came in tonight. I got it together and threw my old pedals on it for now. I took it just around the yard but going to look into the manual and make sure I did everything correctly.It's just about dark anyhow. The shifters are going to take getting used to I'm used to grip shift. Here is a crappy picture it's getting dark and I only have a powershot 1000. Thanks everyone for the help.It's nice to ask a question on a forum and not get my head bit off. Special thanks to AZ.MTNS for pointing out the BMC :thumbsup: .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.