mtbr member
    Mar 2014

2010 Gary fisher x cal with extra goodies

Hey guys n gals I'm new to the forum. And was wondering if I can get some opinions on a bike I may purchase.
    first off I have been ridding a road bike for a couple years now and recently got the itch to get into mountain biking, I plan on doing mostly trail stuff but will most likely be rough on my bike.

Been doing a lot of searching and found a 2010 Gary Fisher X Caliber for 1000 has full shimano Deore xt drive train a fox f29 and shimano mt75 tubeless tires. Just wondering if it seems like a good deal

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The x-cal is a decent bike, the XT equipment is really nice and a solid group set. All in all that is a solid bike, the only bad I had with it is the Trek offset fork system. Makes finding a nice replacement fork hard.
    My Giant's - 2014 Propel Adv Di2 - 2014 TCR Adv SL4 - 2014 Anthem Adv 27.5 - 2014 XtC Adv 27.5 - 2014 TCX Adv Pro

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thank you, I rode the new x cal 9 at my LBS and liked it, then while doing some googling I came across this craigslist Gary Fisher. So you think 1,000$ is a fair price? I'm going to check it out tomorrow and rode it anything I should look out for?

mtbr member
    If this is it Gary Fisher X-Caliber, 17.5", Full Shimano XT, 29er, Fox Fork $1000 seems fair. If it were me though I would try and get a lower price even with all those upgrades considering its age/mileage. Just check to see if all the gears shift, brakes work, and check for dents/deep scratches on the frame. When you go to use the brakes make sure the brake levers do not go and hit the grips on the first pull of the brake lever. Usually means that the brake needs a bleed in which you can ask for a reduction in price to get the brakes bled.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    compared to this deals those are really bad prices
    see
    Beginner for MTB

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The fork on that bike benefits from maintenance more so than some others and Fox makes it hard to get parts and do your own service.
    Compared to Rockshox which shows an exploded view of each fork with part numbers and servicing tutorials on their site I can't find anything like that on the Fox site.
    If someone can link to those that would be useful.
    The Manitou and White Bros forks I own also have onsite help.
    I don't ride Fox.
    I would keep shopping or offer 800.
    Last edited by eb1888; 03-26-2014 at 06:34 AM.

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    I have never had a any sort of problem getting parts for Fox stuff, and also found their stuff the easiest to work on at home. What specific parts and service did you run into issues with?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ASiameseCat View Post
    Thank you guys for all your input, yes that is the bike I rode it yesterday felt nice fit was perfect however I am almost positive it needs new brake pads, but it shifted smoothly brakes still locked up

Eb1888 I've been reading reviews and a lot of people just don't like the offset forks for the G2 frames, but anywho I was thinking of making a 700-750 offer but then came across these two deals. They seem to be really good deals I'm just sceptical because I can't ride before hand.

Fuji Tahoe 29 2.0 Bike 2012 > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop - Mobile

Fuji Tahoe 29 3.0 Bike 2012 > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop - Mobile

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The fork on that bike benefits from maintenance more so than some others and Fox makes it hard to get parts and do your own service.
    Compared to Rockshox which shows an exploded view of each fork with part numbers and servicing tutorials on their site I can't find anything like that on the Fox site.
    If someone can link to those that would be useful.
    The Manitou and White Bros forks I own also have onsite help.
    I don't ride Fox.
    I would keep shopping or offer 800.
    Just the tip of the iceberg wrt how much info is available on their website. They also have tons of very detailed how-to walkthoughs, tuning and maintenance tips, and videos.

Manual Archive | Bike Help Center | FOX

Not for nuthin' but you should really try putting some miles on some Fox suspension bits and do back-to-back comparisons with what you're running currently. I'd be very surprised if you didn't start singing a different tune.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElTroy View Post
    Thank you guys for all your input, yes that is the bike I rode it yesterday felt nice fit was perfect however I am almost positive it needs new brake pads, but it shifted smoothly brakes still locked up

Eb1888 I've been reading reviews and a lot of people just don't like the offset forks for the G2 frames, but anywho I was thinking of making a 700-750 offer but then came across these two deals. They seem to be really good deals I'm just sceptical because I can't ride before hand.

Fuji Tahoe 29 2.0 Bike 2012 > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop - Mobile

Fuji Tahoe 29 3.0 Bike 2012 > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop - Mobile
    I would go for the Gary Fisher with a offer lower than $1000 over these bikes. Much better components on the GF, namely the wheelset, brakes and carbon bits. Looks like the pads aren't the finned Icetech versions so they aren't too expensive to replace. Although the Fuji 2.0 does have a 10 speed drivetrain and tapered headtube which the GF doesn't.

Plus if you end up crashing on the GF you wont feel so bad since its not brand new .

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My marin I alluded to is way better than the fuji deals, and better than the GF for $1000
    2012 Marin Rock Springs Elite 29er 17" Hardtail MTB Bike Shimano XT SLX Fox New | eBay

for $1150 you get
    new bike vs 5 year old bike + components
    warranty
    black flag expert wheelset, which is more $$ than the GF shimano wheelset
    formula fr vs shimano xt brakes. Not sure which is better, the but he formula cost more.

compared to that, the GF has to come down in price to be of similar value. It' not even close.

That GF seems to be market rate, but I think the Marin is just better value in the market currently.
    2008 Gary Fisher Superfly Hi Fi Carbon Fiber 29er Bicycle | eBay

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Formula brakes have typically turned out to be a throw-away item for people I know that have ended up with them as part of a full-bike spec. That includes the high end models. XT or even SLX can be considered an upgrade to them.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    So I'm passing on the 2010 GF thinking of the Marin rock Springs or a norco I still have to go try them out