1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Jul 2013

2009 Trek 6700 for 850. Good deal?

I've been looking at pinkbike to buy a new bike and was wondering if this is a good deal. It's 100 dollars more than the brand new trek 4300 I was thinking about buying but I'm a bit wary about buying used.

Trek 6700 Hardtail 18.5" - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    I think that would be a little too much to pay for that bike. The components aren't bad though, but for a 4 year old hardtail, you can probably find better deals out there. Right when the 2010 lines came out, I saw an LBS sell these for under $1000 and that was 3 years ago. IMO, this bike, in its condition, is probably worth around $600-650 while the Bicycle Blue Book list it at $573.00.

Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    I think that would be a little too much to pay for that bike. The components aren't bad though, but for a 4 year old hardtail, you can probably find better deals out there. Right when the 2010 lines came out, I saw an LBS sell these for under $1000 and that was 3 years ago. IMO, this bike, in its condition, is probably worth around $650-700 while the Bicycle Blue Book list it at $573.00.
    Thanks. I'll keep looking then. Bicycle blue book is a good resource.

mtbr member
    Where are you located, what sort of riding will you be doing, and what is your budget?
    We can possibly help you find a good deal.

Also, check out the buyers guide for used bikes.

Noob Guide to Buying a used MTB

Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Where are you located, what sort of riding will you be doing, and what is your budget?
    We can possibly help you find a good deal.

Also, check out the buyers guide for used bikes.

Noob Guide to Buying a used MTB
    Just saw the noob guide and will definitely review it before buying used. I'm in the bay area in California. I'm looking for trail bike and I'll probably do some all mountain riding once I build my confidence up. My budget maxes out at 900.

mtbr member
    $900 can get you a really nice bike. I'm in the Bay Area as well and recently sold a 2009 Marin Team Issue Scandium bike for $1100 which was equipped with a Fox Float fork and XT components which retailed for $3700. That gives you an idea of what the bike market is and how much a bike can depreciate in the span of 4 years, especially for a hard tail.

Are you looking for a hard tail only?

Jul 2013
    $900 can get you a really nice bike. I'm in the Bay Area as well and recently sold a 2009 Marin Team Issue Scandium bike for $1100 which was equipped with a Fox Float fork and XT components which retailed for $3700. That gives you an idea of what the bike market is and how much a bike can depreciate in the span of 4 years, especially for a hard tail.

Are you looking for a hard tail only?
    I'm looking for a 26er. If I can get a good dual suspension for the price I'll take it but I've mostly been looking at hardtails.

mtbr member
    These days, if you can purchase the right bike, you can pretty much ride a little of everything and you can save yourself good money if you can get that bike right off the bat.

Giant Trance 2 MTB 18"

An older bike, but still a great frame that will handle many types of riding. Needs a little work, but if you can negotiate them down to around $650 and, it would be a solid deal.

Or you can start off on the relatively low end and purchase a hardtail and see how it goes from there without investing tons of money. IMO, you're not going to feel a big difference between a 2013 hard tail that you'd spend $800 for and a 09-10 used hard tail that you can buy for $400-500. If you're in that "let me see how much I want to get into biking" mindset, then maybe rolling with a nice older hard tail wouldn't be a bad idea.

Jul 2013
    These days, if you can purchase the right bike, you can pretty much ride a little of everything and you can save yourself good money if you can get that bike right off the bat.

Giant Trance 2 MTB 18"

An older bike, but still a great frame that will handle many types of riding. Needs a little work, but if you can negotiate them down to around $650 and, it would be a solid deal.

Or you can start off on the relatively low end and purchase a hardtail and see how it goes from there without investing tons of money. IMO, you're not going to feel a big difference between a 2013 hard tail that you'd spend $800 for and a 09-10 used hard tail that you can buy for $400-500. If you're in that "let me see how much I want to get into biking" mindset, then maybe rolling with a nice older hard tail wouldn't be a bad idea.
    That bike looks awesome but I wouldn't trust myself with anything that “needs a little work” at this point. I'll keep checking Craigslist and Pinkbike though . Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There are bikes for sale here also.Ebay has tons of stuff and you can get a idea what things are selling for.