1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

2009 Trek 6000 - Question??

Hey guys,

New to the whole scene.

I have been biking around my neighborhood with a hybrid just for fun and exercise and now I want to start going on trails and have decided to get a new bike. I have been looking at a 2009 Trek 6000 that is for sale in my area. Anyone have any experience with this bike? The seller is asking for $600 which I think is a lil high. I am debating between the Trek and a Cannondale Trail 5 or even the 29er.

Any help or advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I had one for about nine months. It's a great bike to begin on - but you'll soon yearn for something a bit lighter than 33 pounds, once your skills improve. Offer $350-400...which is the current, going rates for this three-year-old bike. The only thing going for it is really the great geometry. The rest of the stock components are mediocre, at best and has a pretty short lifespan.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Great bike - I loved my Trek.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Zachariah, thx for the help.

Yeah, I will deal with the weight of the bike for now.

mtbr member
    I've been riding a 2009 Trek 6000 for the last three years. It's a solid bike with excellent geometry. Little by little, as components wore off, I replace them. Now, the only thing left of the original bike is the frame. $600 is definitely a high price. I only paid $800 when I bought mine new.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks everyone for the input. Yeah, I also heard bike had great geometry to it.

He lowered the price to $450 so just deciding whether to go for it or not.

mtbr member
    I would say $400 and that's the most you will spend. I love my 2012 Trek 6000.
    I now want to add another bike to the stable, Fuel EX5 or EX6.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The bike has been sitting for two years so kind of hesitant with things. I mean I definitely will need a tuneup and check to see if equipment still performs. What do you guys think?

JPM - gluck with adding another bike. Fuel line is pretty nice, was looking at them for fun when I was searching for a bike.

mtbr member
    Was it sitting outside in the weather for two years? I'd rather get a bike that was ridden a few times then stored in a basement or a garage for a few years vs a bike that was ridden every weekend of those two years. Just me, but I also tend to like low milage older Jeeps that sat in garages vs old daily drivers.

If it's local go take it for a spin and see how it rides/shifts/feels...for 450 dollars assuming it fits you right and it's in working order well I think it's a good deal.
    Last edited by Trauma05; 07-18-2012 at 02:16 PM.

mtbr member
    You can just use that as a bargaining tool. Unfortunately bikes depreciate pretty fast and taking it to a shop for a tune up and the possibility of something needing to be fixed or replaced will cost you, both of those can be used as bargaining tools for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ParkOreo View Post
    The bike has been sitting for two years so kind of hesitant with things. I mean I definitely will need a tuneup and check to see if equipment still performs. What do you guys think?

JPM - gluck with adding another bike. Fuel line is pretty nice, was looking at them for fun when I was searching for a bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah, going to take a spin on it tonight and see how it feels and rides. They said it was ridden by their father once and kept in the garage.

Thanks everyone for the advice and input. Just want to make sure I get a bike that fits well and that I will enjoy riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkOreo View Post

a quick tune up takes 20 minutes and some basic tools + some good chain lube. or 45 or so bux at the shop. you can probably just get away with adjusting the barrel connectors.

if it will shift all the gears then you might just need to relube it,

most forks recommend replacing seals with that amount of time. just something to keep in the back of your mind.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quick update:

I bought the bike and I am enjoying every moment of it. The bike was practically new. I couldnt resist riding it before I cleaned/tuned it. I rode it for 20 minutes and it was such an awesome feeling. Taking this rainy day to clean, adjust, lube and tune my bike at home.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice. It helped me put everything in perspective for what was best for me and what I wanted.

Safe riding everyone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That's cool. I'm trying to get a 2007 Trek 6000, but the guy won't budge off his almost $800 price. It's a nice bike, but the price seems pretty high. So frustrating.

mtbr member
    Awesome, glad you like it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysfan1254 View Post
    That's cool. I'm trying to get a 2007 Trek 6000, but the guy won't budge off his almost $800 price. It's a nice bike, but the price seems pretty high. So frustrating.
    $800 is way too much. That's what I paid for my new 2009 Trek 6000

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Don't be frustrated. Professional bike "flippers" always ask outrageous prices...dreaming some sucker will bite. For a 2007 Trek 6000 - flash no more than $300 cash....or else you WALK. You can get a 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy, for less than $700, and I guarantee you it will be almost eight pounds lighter.
    Last edited by Zachariah; 07-21-2012 at 05:07 PM.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysfan1254 View Post

That's ridiculous. Even if the 07 Trek was new, there is no way his price is reasonable. Zachariah has a point, offer $300, no more. Just walk away. You will find the right bike just takes a lil time searching.

Frustation is bound to occur with unreasonable people. But once you get the right bike, it will be all worth it. Good luck on the search.