1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

2009 Jamis Dakota Sport vs. 2010 Specialized Rockhopper

As the title says, which one would you get? i went to my LBS today and they had a 2009 Jamis Dakota Sport for $740 i think it was. It looked like a nice bike and its msrp is like $1100 or so. They aren't going to be carrying Jamis bikes anymore so its on sale i guess.

Now im also looking at a 2010 Specialized Rockhopper for $609 base model or $770 for the Rockhopper comp disc model.

If i did go with a rockhopper would going straigt for the comp disc model be a good idea? or will these components fall apart just as quick as the base model ones.

My plans for the bike are easy trailrides with the girlfriend to the craziest thing i can find here in florida and everything in between. I know im going to end up upgrading the components sooner or later, rather later. i dont have the money for a more expensive bikee so im stuck in the $800 and under range.

So which do you guys think? Jamis Dakota Sport vs. Specialized Rockhopper for a dependable, durable bike that can get me through a day of fun without falling apart.

I'm about 6'2 180Ib , age 20

Thanks taking the time to read my post. Have a good day

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    IMO, I'd go with the Jamis Dakota Sport. If the Jamis is $740, then you can't pass it up. The fork is an upgrade (Tora SL vs. Dart 3), and it's a nine speed (the Rockhopper is an 8 speed). I am not familiar with the Shimano M485 brakes, but I'm sure that they work as well (if not better) than the BB5s that come with the Rockhopper.

This does not mean that the Rockhopper is flawed in any way. In face, I own the 2010 Rockhopper Comp Disc, and I absolutely love it. It's durable, comes with good components, and it has a lifetime warranty on the frame. I've ridden it as hard as I possibly can, and it keeps right on going. I did end up upgrading the brakes to BB7s (I live in a pretty wet area of NY), and I got a good deal on a Manitou fork.

Give each bike a test drive, and make sure that the Jamis comes in your size (probably a 19" to 20" frame). Either way, you're looking at two great entry/intermediate level mountain bikes. In both cases, you're going to be very happy with your purchase for many years to come.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yea i took the Jamis for a test ride and it felt like a nice bike. It is a 21" frame which is my size so im thinking that it may be the one i'll go with.

Any other opinions out there?