1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

2009 Diamondback Mission 1 26 FS or Access 9.5 XCL 29er HT for a Newbie?

Hello all,

Another Newbie here. Trying to decide where to start. I have been doing spinning classes for the last month and actually bought a pair of clipless MTB shoes today. Thought the class would be a good way get used to riding and using clipless pedals, if I should even use clipless to start?...probably another thread..I digress...

I do not have a reference point on 26" vs 29er because I really haven't ever ridden a real trail on a bike. No habits one way or the other. This is a new hobby I am picking up with some friends. If it matters, I am 5'9 and about 175lbs. I am in North Texas where everyone says full suspension is not necessary for our trails. I have read all about 29ers and really like the physics behind them versus the 26, but once again the DB and the components seem to be an amazing deal and this bike seems to get great reviews used on non technical trails. It isn't a light bike, but neither is 29ers in my price range. DB FS is just tempting with these components at that price right?

Ideally, I am would like to find a user 29er HT with a front suspension, gears, and disc brakes for $400 or less. Anymore than that I might as well by one of the 2 bikes below with full warranty from authorized local LBS right?

I listed the components for both in the hopes that you guys could tell me if one has far superior components than the other and give me your opinion on which route I should go.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...7#ReviewHeader

2011 Access XCL 9.5 29er Mountain Bike - $700 plus tax.

BOTTOM BRACKET: Cartridge, steel
    BRAKES: Avid BB5 disc brake w/ caliper, alloy, 185mm front, 160mm rear
    CASSETTE: Sunrace , 9-speed, 11-32T
    CHAIN: KMC HG73. 1/2" 11/128" 106L
    CRANKSET: TruVativ 5D 3.0, 22/32T
    FORK: Rock Shox Dart 3 29", 100mm of travel w/ TurnKey lockout
    FRAME: 6061 Aluminum
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: SRAM X.5
    GRIPS/TAPE: WTB DC Trail Grip
    HANDLEBAR: Alloy, 620mm, 6 degree, 25mm rise
    HEADSET: Cane Creek Semi-Integrated, caged bearing w/ top cap
    LEVERS: Avid FR-5, SLV bracket, alloy
    PEDALS: Wellgo LU-C25 w/ boron axle
    REAR DERAILLEUR: SRAM X.5 long cage w/out bracket
    REAR SHOCK: NA
    SADDLE: Velo
    SEATPOST: FSA SP-SL-280, 31.6mm, 350L
    SHIFTERS: SRAM X.5 Trigger
    STEM: Forged Alloy 4-bolt; 31.8mm, EXT:15"=90mm, 17"=100mm, 19"=110mm, 21/23"=120mm
    TIRES: GEAX Saguaro 29R, 29 X 2.2, Kevlar bead
    WHEELSET: Rims: WTB SpeedDisc All MTN 29"; Hubs: CNC alloy, disc, sealed, 32H

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes/mtn.../mission-1-09/

2009 Diamondback Mission 1 - $800 plus Tax.

Frame
    Mission All Mountain 6" Aluminum w/ Hooded Hydroformed Top Tube, Butted / Formed Down Tube / Seatstays, Under Arch Seatstay bridge, Knuckle Box Technology, ISCG, Hammerschmidt Ready
    Fork
    Fox Vanilla R 140mm travel, coil spring w/ext. pre-load / rebound adj., hollow forged crown
    Rear Shock
    Fox Float RP2 200x51mm Air w/ rebound adj, 2
    Cranks
    Truvativ Blaze PowerSpline 3.1 AL-66 arms, AL-7075 aluminum outer ring, 22/32/44t
    Bottom Bracket
    Truvativ Power Spline Sealed Cartridge
    F. Derailleur
    Shimano Deore dual pull, top swing
    R. Derailleur
    SRAM X-7
    Shifter
    SRAM X-5 9spd trigger
    Brake Levers
    Hayes Stroker - Ryde
    Brakes
    Hayes Stroker Ryde Hydraulic V7" frt / V6" rear Rotors
    Gear
    SRAM PG-950 9spd Cassette (11-34t)
    Rims
    32h Sun Ditch Witch w/ Eyelets
    Tires
    WTB Prowler MX 2.3 frt, Stout 2.3 rear, Folding
    Pedals
    DB Sound Alloy w/ molded traction pins
    Handlebar
    Easton EA30 MidRise 31.8mm
    Stem
    Easton EA30 31.8mm
    Seatpost
    DB SL309p Alloy Micro Adjust 30.9mm
    Seat
    WTB Pure V Sport
    Headset
    Zero Stack 1 1/8"
    Colors
    Gloss RED
    Chain
    SRAM PC-971
    Hubset
    (F) 32h Alloy w/ CNC Disc Mount (R) 32h Alloy Cassette w/ CNC Disc mount
    Spokes
    Black 14g Stainless Steel
    Grips
    DB Brics 130mm D2 Kraton
    Extras
    DB Key Chain, Owner’s manual / Mission owner's manual cover, Chainstay Protector, Clear Coat, H20 bottle mounts

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009 Diamondback Mission 1 26 FS or Access 9.5 XCL 29er HT for a Newbie?-d09_mission2.jpg  

2009 Diamondback Mission 1 26 FS or Access 9.5 XCL 29er HT for a Newbie?-30-2649-slt-side.jpg  

Made in Canada
    Bot would be great bikes but value for component-wise the diamondback by a long-shot. What makes the deal for me is the fork. That is the most simple, best working fox coil fork. It's feels like a dream (I miss mine very much). The deal breaker is if you ride the DB and it doesn't feel right.
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    "I am in North Texas where everyone says full suspension is not necessary for our trails."

If most riders are using hardtails, I doubt you want a 6" travel fs. You need to borrow some of your friends bikes and see what you like.
    Ask around to see if any dealers are having any demo days at some trails.

Another thing to keep in mind is that labor day is only a few weeks away. Dealers will start slashing prices. That bike at performance may be discounted
    another couple hundred. In the mean time, keep an eye on craigslist for a deal on a recent model bike.

mtbr member
    For component wise I think the DB is a really damn good value. You will probably be happier with it, plush ride and you wont have the excessive need to upgrade components as much.
    2010 GT Sensor 2.0