1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2009

2009 Brodie Brat Mtn Bike

Does anyone have an knowledge of Brodie bikes? I am looking for a new Mtn Bike and found a 2009 Brodie Brat Mtn Bike for $600. I am also considering:

2009 Trek 4300 Disc ($549)
    2009 Gary Fisher Wahoo (no disc) ($549)
    2009 Gary Fisher Marlin (no disc) ($649)
    2009 Specialized Hardrock ($500+)

Gary Fisher and Spcialized have RockShox for front suspension while the Trek has RST shock and Brodie has Suntour. I am reading that Rockshox is a better shock then other low end mtn bikes. I heard RST gila shocks are not that great. Any help? Thanks

mtbr member
    You read right. If you can avoid a Suntour or RST, do. Rock Shox at that price level aren't great, either, but they are a step above the other two. I have a Suntour on one of my bikes and I guess I really didn't think about how well it worked when I got it. 20/20 hindsight, I would have spent the extra 100 bucks for a Dart.

Not taking the fork into consideration, the bikes are all very comparable and any one of them would be great to learn on. It's really going to come down to how each one feels when you ride it - and you'll probably feel the difference in forks on each bike, too.

Good luck.
    2008 Specialized Safire Comp

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Gotcha. If I go with Rock Shox I will have to pick a Gary Fisher. I am leaning towards the Marlin if I like how it rides....but I would like to get the Marlin disc but a lot of money for that bike. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have the marlin disc and i like it a lot no complants