1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

New question here. 2008 Trek 4500 vs. 6700

I've referred to this forum often recently and decided to join, to ask a very familiar question: which bike should I buy as a first time owner of an MTB?

My old Trek 700 was destroyed in hurricane Sandy's flood (I live one block from the ocean) and I replaced it last month with a 2011 Trek 7300 (hybrid) from Craigslist for $220.00 (with new Kenda tires) -- which I thought was an excellent deal. I've added about $200 to the bike with end bars, new seat, new pedals, rack, computer, etc., etc.

Now I'd like to have a mountain bike (in addtion to the hybrid, not a replacement) and I've come across the following two Trek options on Craigslist (don't ask me why, but I'm loyal to Treks).

A 2008 Trek 4500: Trek 4500 Mountain Bike -- I informed the seller that he misidentified the model year of the bike so that all of the specs he has listed are wrong -- I believe he'll accept $250.00 (original MSRP = $580, bicyclebluebook. com appraises it at ~$240)

or a 2008 Trek 6700: 2008 Trek 6700 Series -- whose crankset, stem and handlebars I am unable to identify but which are apparently not original components. I believe the seller will accept $450.00 (original MSRP = $1150, bicyclebluebook.com says ~$470)

So, is $200 more for the 6700 worth it? (I'm retired and living on my pension, so ~$500 is my spending limit for this 2nd bike). I usually bicycle on the boardwalk, but much of it was destroyed in the storm; for long stretches riders are now forced into the sandy, heavily rutted fields that run parallel to the boardwalk. On my last ride I went into a rut and heard metal slam against broken blacktop...I don't know which part hit bottom: pedal? crankarm? chainguard? (I made an examination and see no obvious damage)...and I was certainly afraid of doing damage to the rims.

So...what say the experts? I'd appreciate any input.

mtbr member
    The 6700 is a better bike in every way. Much better fork, better brakes, better drivetrain that is all more suited for offroad. If you want something that is fully capable of off road abuse the 6700 is the way to go.

If you want to keep the budget small and ride mostly in town then the 4500 should work fine. It can still go offroad(it is a mountain bike after all) but the parts are not as high of quality.
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er SS/Rigid
    2013 Marin Mount Vision XM7
    FS: 26" Black Flag Expert Wheelset (new), Reba 29 Fork

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    If you can splurge a little more.. I found this Trek in Queens on CL... TREK CARBON MTB 19inches

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Too Late

Quote Originally Posted by skene View Post
    If you can splurge a little more.. I found this Trek in Queens on CL... TREK CARBON MTB 19inches
    When I search Craigslist I enter "Trek xxx" or "Trek fuel"...who would have thought of a Craigslist heading like the one above? I don't want to put just "Trek" in the search line because then I'd have to wade through all the road bikes and hybrids. Anyway, I clicked on the link but the listing is terminated. So I missed out. Thanks so much for the heads-up anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    The 6700 is a better bike in every way. Much better fork, better brakes, better drivetrain that is all more suited for offroad. If you want something that is fully capable of off road abuse the 6700 is the way to go.

If you want to keep the budget small and ride mostly in town then the 4500 should work fine. It can still go offroad(it is a mountain bike after all) but the parts are not as high of quality.
    Your advice is appreciated and as it stands now Im leaning towards the '08 Trek 6700; the seller agreed to accept $450.00 and assured me that besides (1) the upgraded handlebars and stem, and (2) the unidentified double chainring crankset, all the other components are original and were never downgraded (perish the thought). I'll take the spec sheet from Bikepedia with me to confirm first-hand that this is true.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skene View Post
    Well...I did a Craigslist search for a "Trek MTB" and your referred-to listing is back up: TREK Full-CARBON MTB 19inches I don't know what to make of it. According to Bikepedia the seller is correct: this 1998 Trek 9900 had a whopping MSRP of $3700.00. But even more surprising, Bicycle Blue Book says its value today is $1128.00...and the seller wants only $550.00? Does this sound legit to anyone?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lenco49 View Post
    Well...I did a Craigslist search for a "Trek MTB" and your referred-to listing is back up: TREK Full-CARBON MTB 19inches I don't know what to make of it. According to Bikepedia the seller is correct: this 1998 Trek 9900 had a whopping MSRP of $3700.00. But even more surprising, Bicycle Blue Book says its value today is $1128.00...and the seller wants only $550.00? Does this sound legit to anyone?
    It would be a great starter bike depending on the condition of that old fork(its hard to tell what is on it) and the components. Those are very light bikes.

The drawback is upgrades for it might be difficult to find, and it is an older style geometry.

It is really hard to evaluate rare older bikes like that, but I think the $500 price point is close to correct. I would say ride the 6700 and the 9900 and see what you like more.
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er SS/Rigid
    2013 Marin Mount Vision XM7
    FS: 26" Black Flag Expert Wheelset (new), Reba 29 Fork

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Yes, the Trek was worth that much back then... Here you are 15 years later and take the bike for what it's worth. A nice carbon frame, the fork you can always replace for something newer that may last some time before servicing.

You can't really go by "Bicycle Bluebook"... it does not take into consideration geographical locations and how bad a person selling the bike needs the money. Sure he can probably ask for $900+, but anyone in their right mind can go and purchase a new bike with warranty for that much.

But since you are in Queens NY, there are plenty of "Used" cycle shops that have decent bikes and are always willing to haggle with for pricing, if you don't see anything on CL.