1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2008

New question here. 2008 Jamis Darka XC vs. 2008 Jamis Durango 3.0

Hey guys I'm new here and was wondering if a more knowledgable member could offer some advice on a new purchase.

Currently I have a GT Tempest that I bought some 8 years ago, it's in good condition but I know have the opportunity to get a new bike. My question is, what should I be looking for when purchasing a new bike?

As it stands right now I have choice between a Dakar XC and a Durango 3.0 both 2008 models from Jamis. If someone who's owned either of these bikes could share their experiences.

So far all I've been able to tell about either of these two bikes is that the Durango has 'Marzocchi MZ Race' with 100mm to 120mm adjustable travel. While the Dakar XC has 'Rock Shox Tora 289' also with 100mm travel and 'Fox Vanilla R' rear suspension.

Thanks in advance.

KRISDALA BAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I really think the question you should consider is whether you want a hardtail or full suspension. The Durango is the better bike of the two if you are comparing weight, componentry, and more for your dollar.

The Dakar XC has entry level (Deore) components and is listed at 35 lbs compared to the 28.5 pounds of the Durango (with XT)

The one advantage the Dakar would have is when you point it down hill and let er rip. The advantage of the Durango would be in the fast flowing trails and climbs due to its light weight and no pedal bob that the low level rear suspension on the Dakar would surely have in the climbs.

So, consider what type of riding you will do and what is most important. Would you rather have speed and efficiency on the flats and climbing, and loose a little speed on the descents, or be slower in the climbs and flats and really nail it on the downhill sections?

Hope this helps, good luck!
    My car is red.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The bikes are quite different. The Durango is much better specced and better suited for trail riding out-of-the-box. The Dakar would make a great XC machine, but it may take some upgrades. As emmaus28 pointed out, it has a lower-end 8spd drivetrain, as opposed to the Durango's 9spd. However, it could be a great frame to ride, and upgrade as the money becomes available.

Btw, I assumed you're Canadian so I'm going off of the Canadian specs.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Correct I'm Canadian but the bike is coming from an American dealer.

As it stands right now I wouldn't be doing much downhill riding, and I do like the fact that the Durango is lighter.

Another question how much does the riders weight play into the selection?

Thanks for the replies thus far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I actually went through the same process, I went with the 08 durango 3.0 better specs for the money. Unless your going to drop a lot more money go with the hard tail and ride it. If you have more money to spend on a FS then i would go with a higher end FS bike.