1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

2007 Giant Yukon???

Found this bike on Craigslist in good shape:

"Im selling my Giant Yukon Aluxx 6000 series bike.
    This bike is 22''
    The stats on this bike are as follows
    100 Magnesium front shocks
    Front and rear mechanical disk brakes
    2 Water bottle holders
    WTB DX23 Rims on front and back of bike"

I am just starting in mountain biking.

Is this a decent bike?
    Is this frame worthy of being upgraded with better components?

Thanks...

Edited to reflect correct year...
    Last edited by maxkimber; 07-28-2011 at 12:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by maxkimber View Post
    Found this bike on Craigslist in good shape:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...in/1280/29353/

I am just starting in mountain biking.

Is this a decent bike?
    Is this frame worthy of being upgraded with better components?

Thanks...
    Just realized it is not the exact bike on the link. The bike has 100 Magnesium front shocks. and Alivio...

I removed the above link, as it was not the correct bike - sorry.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Looks good to me for a starter bike - depending on what kind of terrain you plan on riding anyway. Nothing else, it will be a small upfront cost to make sure you enjoy it

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgeball2d View Post
    Looks good to me for a starter bike - depending on what kind of terrain you plan on riding anyway. Nothing else, it will be a small upfront cost to make sure you enjoy it
    Asking price is $525, but includes a bike carrier, which I would turn-around and sell.

I haven't seen 100 Magnesium front shocks discussed on this forum yet, are they decent?

mtbr member
    I've got a 2009 Yukon as my first "real" mountain bike. I like it quite a lot, and I've upgraded it quite a bit as I've learned what I was doing.

But $525 is too much. The original MSRP was only $550, so even with the carrier you should try to bargain it down. Giant doesn't make the hardtail Yukon anymore, but a Norco Kokanee or Specialized Hardrock is pretty comparable, and you could get one of those brandnew for $500~600. And getting one of those from a shop would get you some free tuneups, discounts on accessories, and you might even be able to find last year's model on clearance (especially if you're willing to wait another month or two).

So I'd say it's only worth it if you could get the CL folks down to $400ish. (I'd also guess that the "100 Magnesium front shocks" is a goof. It's probably just the stock 100mm Rockshox Dart 1)

I4NI
    I got one and LOVE the frame! I upgraded everything else. Even put a 2011 fox fork on it. The geometry works for me also. Handles better than my Trek costing twice as much. This is the one bike that's a keeper for me.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Asking price is way too much. Just picked up a 2008 Yukon in excellent shape for the wife for $200.

mtbr member
    Asking price is too much. Giant changed the name of the Yukon to Revel this year.. No problems with the frames. My bike is a 2009 Yukon and I owned a 2010 Yukon for a year. Try to get it down to $200-$250 and see if he won't sell the carrier with it. Perfect frames to build off of. This used to be a 2009 Yukon...

Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Another thought..if you can find a 2010 Yukon (normally sell for $300-$400, I sold mine for $375 after a year of use in July 2010) it will be much better. 2010's have newer frames, better brakes, fork and shifting components. 2009's are alright but maybe look for a 2010.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    (I'd also guess that the "100 Magnesium front shocks" is a goof. It's probably just the stock 100mm Rockshox Dart 1)
    Here is the fork...? and bike...

http://s1120.photobucket.com/albums/...IMAG0031-1.jpg

mtbr member
    ^ Ah. I think that's actually a 2007 Yukon in gloss black:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...tain/10/28076/

Same deal - nice starter bike, plenty of room for upgrades, it looks like it's in excellent condition, but the price is too high. Like Sasquatch says, a Revel 1 is basically the new equivalent, and a new one is $510.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ Ah. I think that's actually a 2007 Yukon in gloss black:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...tain/10/28076/

Same deal - nice starter bike, plenty of room for upgrades, it looks like it's in excellent condition, but the price is too high. Like Sasquatch says, a Revel 1 is basically the new equivalent, and a new one is $510.
    Thanks... The seller advised it was a 2008 - probably when he bought it. Further he said MSRP was $850.

Fat-tired Roadie
    22" is a big bike.

Are you a tall person?

Most important thing is fit...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Asking price is too much. Giant changed the name of the Yukon to Revel this year.. No problems with the frames. My bike is a 2009 Yukon and I owned a 2010 Yukon for a year. Try to get it down to $200-$250 and see if he won't sell the carrier with it. Perfect frames to build off of. This used to be a 2009 Yukon...

Your bike is so awesomely ugly. I love it

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    22" is a big bike.

Are you a tall person?

Most important thing is fit...
    Seller said he was 6', but as I am learning more about this bike, I am tending to not believe anything he says. I am 6' 1", and would test it out for fit prior to any purchase agreement. Thanks...

Fat-tired Roadie
    6'1" is probably in the ballpark for a 22" bike.

$525 is waaay too high.

You're finding out why I've generally bought my bikes from shops. Value's not as good, but I didn't want to deal with Craig's List.

If you decide this is getting too stupid, make some phone calls and see if you've got a shop in your area that deals in used bikes. IMO that's the best way to get into it - you get to stretch your dollar, but the bike's also going to be, at least, tuned, and you can ride a bunch at the same time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    6'1" is probably in the ballpark for a 22" bike.

$525 is waaay too high.

You're finding out why I've generally bought my bikes from shops. Value's not as good, but I didn't want to deal with Craig's List.

If you decide this is getting too stupid, make some phone calls and see if you've got a shop in your area that deals in used bikes. IMO that's the best way to get into it - you get to stretch your dollar, but the bike's also going to be, at least, tuned, and you can ride a bunch at the same time.
    Thanks for the advice. I am going to contact the seller again tomorrow and let him know about his own bike, because he seems to be mistaken. I will give him a standing offer (until I buy a bike), but it will be low, but fair for a $470 MSRP, 4 year old bike.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Wow.

I sort of assumed the MSRP was really $800, and hadn't bothered to look at the spec. on bikepedia. It's kind of amazing how much more expensive bikes have gotten since 2007.

Anyway, I think it's a $200 bike, give or take. Good luck. Take someone with you if you end up buying it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well, I may get to see this bike after all. The seller stopped returning my emails after I queried his questionable MSRP. However, he reposted the ad and dropped the price by $100, so I responded in a bit nicer tone. Hope to see it this weekend!!!

I really like the look of this frame, it is like the new full-suspension Giants, but a hardtail (what I want) - the best of both worlds. If it fits me and feels good!

Anyone else like the Giant curved frame style? Are there any functional differences between the curvy and straight bar frames?

mtbr member
    I do like the look of the 2008's a lot, I just was not a fan of the parts they threw on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I do like the look of the 2008's a lot, I just was not a fan of the parts they threw on it.
    The bike I am going to look at is actually a 2007, which is spec-ed out pretty good, except the fork (Disclaimer: I am a compete rookie, just going by what I learned in my short time here and visiting LBS'). The seller advised me it was a 2008, but great folks here [Newfangled] identified it was a 2007, not a 2008.

mtbr member
    Pics? Info?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Pics? Info?
    There is a link to the pics and all the info I have is in this thread

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well, I saw and rode the 2007 Yukon this afternoon, but didn't come home with it .

The seller insisted on taking no less than $425 for the bike and car carrier. Recap: the bike had an msrp of $470 , and is 4 years old. I offered him $200, sight unseen, then once I rode it and looked it over, I increased my offer to $320, for just he bike.

The bike was nice and felt good, but just could not pull the trigger for the asking price, based on principle and basic economics. I'm I off-base here, or is the mountain bike market HOT right now ?

I told him my offer stands until I buy a bike...

mtbr member
    Sometimes craigslist people are unreasonable. It might be for the best though - a 22" is a pretty big bike. I'm 5'11" and an 18" is great. At 6'1" you'd probably be better off trying to find a 20".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast