1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

2008 Giant Rainier or 2010 Motobecane 500ht

I am debating over these two bikes. The giant rainier is a used bicycle but in like new condition. And the 500ht is brand spanking new. About a 40 dollar difference higher for the giant. Which is the best bang for the buck. Any insight would be great. 280 for the 500ht or 325 for the giant. Thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Anyone??

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Well, first of all, they did not make the Rainier in 2008. I see this ALL THE TIME. The year of manufacture of bkes being mis-stated. I'd like to believe that people just make honest mistakes when doing this, but it is ALWAYS stated that the bike is newer than it actually is, so color me skeptical.

Anytime you are considering a used bike, it's a good idea to use bikepedia (www.bikepedia.com) as a resource to confirm the year of manufacture and what parts the bike came with. Many times, parts are upgraded and that's great, but many times, people will replace good parts with cheaper parts and sell off the better parts to make even more money. Especially things like wheelsets, cranksets and forks.

Turns out that 2007 was the last year the Ranier was made and it would not surprise me at all if I found out a used bike advertised as a 2008 was not even a 2007. Happens all the time, especially places like Craigslist, so buyer beware.

That said, if the bike (Ranier) is not stolen and is in really good condition as stated by the OP, it might be a fair deal and I would probably rather have it than the Motobecane.

If the OP has pics of the bike, that will make it easier to ID. If you have a list of some of the parts present and the color, that could be used in lieu of pics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    here's the link:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/2252687712.html

Not sure how to post the pics. and yeah i couldn't find anything for 2008, so i'm not sure what year the bike is. Thanks for all the insight!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    sorry

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I recognized that as a 2003 instantly as my son has a 2003 Iguana and we were looking at those as well.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...nier&Type=bike

The Iguana (in 2003) has the same frame as the Ranier and I can attest that it is an excellent frame (my son is still riding/racing his upgraded Iguana) and they did sell for around $820+/-.

From the pics it looks to be in very good shape and even looks to have the original tires. The Axel fork is a 28mm stanchion fork IIRC and not super beefy but is a little better than a standard entry level fork like a Dart, RST or Sr Suntour. It had BB7 brakes, which I run on all of my bikes and all of my kid's bikes. LX Rear derailleur and Deore FD and shifters are good. Those Mavic X139 rims are found on bikes ranging up to $1,300 or more. The only part on it that I would keep an eye on is the crankset and bottom bracket. Those are Giant house brand cranks and a 'Power Tools" bottom bracket which are standard fare on bikes in that price range, but may wear out if you ride a lot.

I always thought the 2003 Ranier was a pretty good hardtail bike.

If it's in excellent condition I would pay $300 or less for one. Others may disagree, but that is my personal opinion.
    Last edited by jeffj; 03-08-2011 at 09:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    thanks so much for the info jeffj. it is greatly appreciated.