1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

2008 Fuji Tahoe Comp 29er

Hi all!

I am considering buying a 2008 Fuji Tahoe Comp 29er. There is one for sale in town for $500 and it is in excellent condition.

Is this a good deal for this bike?

Just to give you a little background, I haven't done any mountain biking for quite a few years. Before college I used to go regularly, but during and since I have not at all. My thought is I will be using the bike to ride around town fairly regularly - mostly on the road. I would also like to take it down a few trails nearby as the greenbelts in Austin are awesome. Is a 29er right for me?

Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

That's a little bit...

stout for the year and model bike. But if it is in excellent condition, might be worth it. If everything works properly, you don't have to replace tires, brake pads, cables, etc., then it'd be okay. Take a close look at it and deduct any costs you might have to put into it to make the bike rideable/safe. I'd also offer $400 or $450 for the bike. After all it is two years old, but that's me. If the bike is in good enough shape, $500 would be fair.

As for whether a 29er is for you. That's your call. For the most part it's an individual thing. And it seems to be pretty much a love/hate thing as well. Most people either love em or hate em. I'm one of the few that don't mind em. They do roll smother than a 26" bike, but those big wheels do take a bit more to keep rolling. All you can do is ride it and see if it suits you.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks!