1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

2008 Cannondale F7 vs. 2007 Marin Alpine Trail

I'm a newbie and looking for a decent budget bike to get started. I found both of these bikes for about $400 and could get an additional 10% or so off. I was wanting to know which the all-knowing forum would suggest. The frame on the Marin is pretty cool and the specs seem better, but I don't know what all the specs mean yet. I am also open to any other suggestions in this price range. I am looking for a hard-tail MTB.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    For that price point, both bikes are decent. I think the specs are the same, unless you're comparing the Marin to the Cannondale v-brake F7. Other than that the components are equal, IMO. I would ride them both and buy whichever fits better and you like better. If you still can't decide buy from the shop you like better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes, both bikes have v-brakes. So are you saying that the Marin has slightly better specs with v-brakes on the F7? Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    No, equal specs. I didn't realize the Marin came in a v-brake model. I thought maybe you were looking at the disc Marin vs. the v-brake Cdale.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    How about a GT Avalanche 3.0? I was in your shoes a few months ago. I went with a Cannondale F7 Disc for $406 from REI, but I returned it because it just didn't feel right. Then I went to Performance Bicycle and picked up the Avalanche 3.0 Disc for $399. For what it comes with, I prefer the Suntour forks over the RST forks that the F7 comes with. Good luck with whatever you get.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I saw a Haro Flightline Sport in another LBS today and compared it's specs to the other 2 and the Avalanche. I'm leaning towards the Haro now because it has a lockout feature and disc brakes for the same price. Any opinions on the Haro vs. the others. Thanks!

Probably drunk right now

The best bike for you...

Quote Originally Posted by mdmiller
    I saw a Haro Flightline Sport in another LBS today and compared it's specs to the other 2 and the Avalanche. I'm leaning towards the Haro now because it has a lockout feature and disc brakes for the same price. Any opinions on the Haro vs. the others. Thanks!

The best bike for you is the one that fits you best or feels "right". Buying an entry level mountain bike based on components vs. fit is illadvised because you're likely to break components as you learn.

Low end disc brakes are worse than v-brakes. Don't buy an entry level bike based on brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Like the previous guys said, basically for the price range a lot of the components will be the same. Haro and GT have the same derailer and forks and cost about the same. If you can, try to ride them and get the one that you like best. Oh, and I found this for you.

Haro Flightline Sport '08 vs GT Avalanche 3.0 '07

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There was one diffence between the Haro and GT forks. The Haro has the Suntour SF7-XCM MLO which has the lockout feature and the GT has the SF7-XCM which doesn't, but I get the point. I'll try to ride them and see which one fits me the best. Thanks for the info on the shoddy disc brakes I'll keep that in mind. I'm also considering the Cannondale F6 which is a little more, but it has the Dart 2. The one downside to that bike is the unsealed hubs. How big of a deal is that?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmiller
    There was one diffence between the Haro and GT forks. The Haro has the Suntour SF7-XCM MLO which has the lockout feature and the GT has the SF7-XCM which doesn't, but I get the point. I'll try to ride them and see which one fits me the best. Thanks for the info on the shoddy disc brakes I'll keep that in mind. I'm also considering the Cannondale F6 which is a little more, but it has the Dart 2. The one downside to that bike is the unsealed hubs. How big of a deal is that?
    That's weird. My Avalanche has the lockout feature. It's XCM Forks, but I'm not sure which ones.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Interesting. I was just going off of the specs and what I found on Suntour's website, but none of the LBS's that I've been to so far had GT. There are 3 in town so I'll have to check one of those out for sure. Thanks!