1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

2008 Cannondale F5 Vs. 2008 GT Avalanche 2.0?

Hey All,

I went on a mad bike search today for my first Mtn Bike.

I think I have narrowed it down to two bikes:

2008 Cannondale F5 $630
    http://www.rei.com/product/759994

and

2008 GT Avalanche 2.0 $590
    http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/Pr...ard-Tail/#5597

Can someone break down the diff of both bikes and share an opinion on which is the better purchase?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have an Avalanche 2.0 and so far it seems to be holding up and as far as specs go the F5 has slightly better components. I purchased mine for $450 at Performance so atleast you'll be saving some notes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks thats good to know... I know nothing bout the diff in components

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Best advice would be to go test both of them out. Fit is very important.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The Avalanche is on sale at Performance for $500. If you buy it today, you get an additional 15% off (their anniversary sale). Just FYI...