1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

2007 Specialized P2 for $500

Is that a good deal? Everything is stock and is in great condition

Freshly Fujified

Why do you ask?

You buying one or selling one?
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    buying

Freshly Fujified

It's a decent price

Seeing that the '08 is $1200, I have to figure the '07 was probably at least a grand. Provided the bike is in decent shape, the price is good. 2 problems I see:

1) The bike is made to be abused, so the previous owner probably beat it.

2) The Hayes Sole brakes on that bike have a horrible reputation. You will end up replacing them.

If it's truly in great condition, then your $500 is probably well spent. If you shop wisely, you can find a decent set of hydraulic brakes for $200 or so, OR a set of Avid BB7's and levers for about $125.00.

There ya go.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    yea its a pretty good deal, the only thing is that not many people like the geometry of the p series for dj/street/park, not that its bad, some people love it and some hate it, so try to take it for a test spin first

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thanks for the help guys, but damn I'm too late for the buy, the seller just sold it.....