1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

2007 Marin Bolinas Ridge: Questions

Hi all, brand new here on mtbr but I'm a long time mt. biker. I ride a Gary Fisher Marlin.

I am buying my girlfriend a bike for b-day and have narrowed my selection down to two. This is a entry level mt bike for a weekend trail rider (beginner riding) and occasional street/boardwalk rider. I have a college budget of $300-350 and am not looking for anything fancy but as always, I'm looking for a "decent" bike for the price.

Here are my two bikes I figure will be a good entry level bike

2007 Womens 15" 7005 aluminum frame Marin Bolinas Ridge: List: $450, Sale: $350
    2008 Men's 16"? 6061 aluminum frame Trek 3700 Sale: $329

Obviously these bikes will have the most basic components on them but I feel both frames are sturdy and can be customized if there was ever a desire to.

My questions are

1. For a 2007 bike, is 350 a good price. The salesman won't go any lower
    2. Is Marin a good bike? I've never even heard of them before this week?
    3. Am I just paying for a name in Trek or will the bike serve it's purpose well as a weekend bike?

I've ridden the Marin and it doesn't fit my style as it isn't aggressive enough but I felt was a sturdy bike that had solid components that would fit my girlfriend's needs.

Specs of the 2007 Marin
    http://www.marinbikes.com/bicycles_2...s_ridge_w.html

I am looking to get a bike in the next few days. Any help would be great. Please don't tell me to go to Dick's Sporting Goods to get a bike because their bikes are the crappiest I've seen.

Thanks in advance for any advice

jjm86m

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you have a Sun and Ski Sports around they had the 2007 Bolinas Ridge listed for $329 and they would definitely knock some more off of that. 2007s are about gone though. They actually had the 2008s on sale for $349. That may vary from store to store.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jjm86m
    2. Is Marin a good bike? I've never even heard of them before this week?
    I'm a newbie to mountain biking, but I can tell you that yes, Marin is a quality brand. They're based in my hometown (Novato, CA) and while not nearly as widespread as Specialized or Trek, they make good products. Oddly enough, I hear they're more well known in the UK than in the US. I just bought a 2008 Marin Bolinas Ridge, and if it can handle my 270+lb self, then I'm certain it'll serve your girlfriend well