1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

New question here. 2007 Iron Horse Warrior ??

I keep seeing this posted , looks like a good deal, But if you are a newbie getting your first real bike how do you know what to order as far as fame size and so on and if it will fit you very well ??? No Iron Horse in my area south central Oklahoma??
    OR

Are you better off getting what the LBS has in store no mater what brand they have. ??
    Some of us have to go along way to find a bike shop !! Two hour drive one way !!

Any help !!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Here is a typical frame size chart:

Adult Bicycle Frame Sizing Chart

Many manufacturers offer bicyles in several frame sizes for a personalized fit. Straddling the bicycle standing flat footed on floor, you should have a minimum of 1-3" clearance between your inseam and the top tube of the bicycle frame. Due to varying body types, the chart below should be used as a guideline only for frame sizing.

Height 66" - 70" 70" - 73" 72" and up
    Frame Size 16" - 17.5" 18" - 19.5" 20" - 22"
    Small Medium Large

The typical frame size is measure by the seat tube length. This chart is not completely accurate nor set in stone a but a guideline. Im 5'11" or 71" and according to the chart should be in the 18" - 19.5" range. I have an Iron Horse and chose the 17.5" size as I felt the next size up... 19.5" was too big. Fit is extremely important but if you cant test ride it you can get close. Another important factor is top tube length. Some will argue it is more important and to some extent I agree but you can adjust it somewhat with stems, handle bars, seat posts and saddle positioning so I believe standover clearance is more important and most sites list those specs. Use your inseam to determine your standover height needed. The Iron Horses are great values but it is a risk you take buy not being able to get you hands on it first. Luckily I did. As much as I like Iron Horse, I'd call an LBS even if they are 2 hours away to see what they have to offer. With today's economy and considering the distance you'd have to travel they might be able to offer you a deal. All they can do is say no and you wont know without trying.