1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

2007 GT i-Drive 4 4.0 - Anyone recommend this bike?

The 2007 GT i-Drive 4 4.0 Mountain Bike is now on sale for $749, down from $1099. This would be my first mountain bike should I decide to get it. Can anyone recommend it?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie101
    The 2007 GT i-Drive 4 4.0 Mountain Bike is now on sale for $749, down from $1099. This would be my first mountain bike should I decide to get it. Can anyone recommend it?

Thanks!
    I was looking at that bike recently for my first FS purchase. I chose this one instead:
    http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....19&category=55

All around a better bike. About 5lbs lighter too!

wannabe corporate shill
    Jan 2006

mtbr member
    Its a good bike for the money but keep in mind it is an entry level bike. Most of that five pound weight difference stated above is in the fork. Stock the bike weighs in at about 34 pounds. I actually have the I drive 4 5.0 and I replaced the fork with a Rock Shox Reba race from another bike I had saved some major weight.
    I have been happy with my bike and have had no problems with it after about 6 months of abuse. The bike climbs exceptionally well and with an upgraded fork will handle most descents. The I drive 4 line however is not ment for big drops so keep that in mind as well.
    Best of luck
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie101
    Thanks!
    That bike looks like it will do the job for normal XC mountain biking. Don't expect to be jumping off stuff or riding really tough trails. I like the spec on most of the bike except for 3 things.

Tektro cable disc brakes. Some bikes for the same price come with hydraulic disc brakes
    The SR Suntour fork. I imagane that fork is really heavy and I haven't heard too much about them
    Truvativ 5D Crank. This is a pretty low end crank, and don't expect it to last if you ride hard.

Another bike to look at at Performance which as the same price you are looking at is the Mongoose Otero Super. The specs are better, and it's got adjustable front and rear travel and a more beefy frame. You could use this bike to at least try all different disciplines of mountain biking. Check it out at performance too.
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=3050

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I just got the Otero Super a couple weeks ago and it seems very well built for the money. My only complaint is that there is no lockout on either shock, but that is really not a big deal. The Tektro hydraulic brakes are very nice even though they are a mainly OEM brand. Gears shift easily. You'll need a special shock pump for the rear shock since its air.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i looked at the idrive 4 and the otero, but ended up with the teocali for the same price. It was a toss up between the teocali and the otero, but i was given way too good of a deal on the teocali ($500).