1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

2005 Trek 3700 13" good starter for a 12 yr old

My son finally out grew his GT stomper 20" this year, so I am looking to get him a new bike to start some trail riding.

I found locally a 2005 Trek 3700 for $60 that is is in great shape. Would this be an ok bike for him to start on. He is just now wanting to get into riding some trails. I know the front suspension isn't that great. He is 4'8" and weighs 90 lbs, so I think it will work for now.

I do have a 15 yr old Gaint 13" sitting in the shed. Steel frame with no suspension. Everything is pretty worn so it would require a few hundred dollars to get it up to par, but it is pretty light.

I don't want to spend 3-400 and have him out grow it next year when he gets a growth spurt. We plan on spending more money on a bette mountain bike once we know he likes doing it.
    Any thoughts or opinions would be great. I am supposed to go look at the Trek in an hour, so I would love some feedback.

EDR
    I found locally a 2005 Trek 3700 for $60 that is is in great shape. Would this be an ok bike for him to start on.
    Sounds like a great bike to get started on for the price. It will be a 5x better bike than a $100 Walmart bike. Probably heavy but unless you were to spend a whole lot of dough there's no way around that. My son still rides 2004-5 Trek 820 on the trails from time to time. He's 16 now and the bike is a bit of a tank..but he has a great time on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for the input.. that is what I was thinking. Should be a good starting point to see what he wants.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    When he starts riding trails you can upgrade the fork for $79
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox XC 28 TK Coil Fork
    Suspension fork upgrade installation - YouTube

You may need to get the right spring for his current weight and mod it to 80mm.
    Springs are on Sram site Tech Doc under Customer Support. Order through LBS.
    Last edited by eb1888; 09-07-2012 at 02:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Picked the bike in my way home. I got it for $45. It's like brand new with nubs on the tires still. We got to take it out for a 2 mile ride and he loves it already. Fork is a little stiff but it's a ton better then his gt stomper was. I can barely keep up with him now. We are building him up over the next 2 weeks before he tries any trails.

Thanks for the link!!

I4NI
    Great price Yes go for it! Anything to get him in the sport
    Last edited by S_Trek; 09-07-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by cboyd1974 View Post
    Picked the bike in my way home. I got it for $45. It's like brand new with nubs on the tires still. We got to take it out for a 2 mile ride and he loves it already. Fork is a little stiff but it's a ton better then his gt stomper was. I can barely keep up with him now. We are building him up over the next 2 weeks before he tries any trails.

Thanks for the link!!
    Congratulations!

The fork will take some bump time to wear in. Your son will manage that.

My bike is rusty..
    Jul 2012
    Wish I got a bike like that when I was his age! I'm sure he'll love it!

Ride More, Whine Less
    Yep, sounds like a very good purchase. My first thought was that 13" is going to be small, but you can sell it next year for the money you have in it if necessary.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The 13" frame is actually very big for him. Barely fits it. We started to get everything adjusted properly for him. New bike is making a world of difference. Went for a 2 mile ride again today. The down hill single track he had a blast on. This was his first real time riding on a rough trail covered in rocks. Forks are way too stiff!! That has to be the first upgrade. I was thinking 100mm dart 3 forks should help out.

Thanks for everyone's response. He is really starting to love this sport more each day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just checked out the link for the Rock Shox XC 28 TK Coil Fork. Will this fork be enough of any upgrade for him? He starting riding some trails and the forks barely moves, and when he does go over something it gets very bouncy.