1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

2005 Raleigh Lahar

Hi guys....First post and I have aquestion. I have been researching bikes for a while now and have found this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

It really seamed like a great price and I purchased it. What do you guys think? Will this be a good first bike. I rode it at a local shop and loved it but they only had 18 in frame

Never worng!
    Welcome to mtbr.com!
    Quote Originally Posted by johneracer
    It really seamed like a great price and I purchased it. What do you guys think? Will this be a good first bike. I rode it at a local shop and loved it but they only had 18 in frame
    Well................ you bought it.
    Doesn't matter now what anyone thinks.
    If you rode it and loved it that's all that matters.
    Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Raleigh is not one of the "trendier" brands, but they do make a solid bike. I have a '98 M-30 that's still truckin. Looks like pretty decent components on the one you got - should make an excellent entry-level bike. Congrats...
    Last edited by Tag1; 03-23-2006 at 06:31 PM.

Never worng!
    Raleigh makes Diamondback bikes.
    I have a Diamondback and I think that's pretty trendy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Verewolf
    Welcome to mtbr.com!

Well................ you bought it.
    Doesn't matter now what anyone thinks.
    If you rode it and loved it that's all that matters.
    Enjoy!
    Thanks for the welcome. This is the answer I was expecting. Yes I did buy it, nevertheless you are still welcome to comment on it, such as, a weak component that you spot, something I need to look out for....or whatever. I did have it recommended as far as components included and the frame. As far as "trendy name..." I really dont care I just wanna ride.

Never worng!
    Well as far as components go if they're weak you'll find out eventually.
    When most people buy a bike it doesn't have every single component they want.
    When one of those components breaks or wears out then upgrade.

Just get a helmet and the basics and ride fast, far and safe.

Formerly DMR For Life
    Johneracer....welcome to mtbr.com
    about the bike...for the price you paid for it...that bike is spec'ed extremely well and all round good bike that should last you for a while...have fun riding it
    DMR

ride hard take risks
    As long as it fits well the components are good you should get many great riding experiances to talk about.

Cheezy Rider
    Pretty nice parts for a $500 bike. Enjoy it!

Space for rent...
    How tall are you and are you sure the 20" is the right fit?
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    well....this was my concern also. I am 6' 2" and I weigh 230. I tried 18 but it just felt small since my arms are kinda long. I got on a 20" and when I was standing on the ground flat feet, I had about 2 in of clerance from frame and my...uhmmm "jewels.."

Space for rent...
    well....this was my concern also. I am 6' 2" and I weigh 230. I tried 18 but it just felt small since my arms are kinda long. I got on a 20" and when I was standing on the ground flat feet, I had about 2 in of clerance from frame and my...uhmmm "jewels.."
    The bike sounds about right for someone your size. Of course you will only truly find out once you hit the trails.

Parts list looks good, and as others have mentioned, this is a nice entry level bike. Ride it (hard) and replace parts as the break.

If you are comfortable with the build, go ahead and put it together and hit the trails. If you are not 100%, you may want to get someone qualified to assemble. Don't be surprised if your LBS are less than enthusiastic though, after all, selling new bikes is what they are all about.

You may also want to invest in:-
    -Helmet
    -Glasses
    -Gloves
    -Basic tools (puncture kit/mulit-tool/tire levers/pump)
    -waterbottle (camelbak if you still have money)

Best of luck and welcome...
    It's only pain......

ride hard take risks
    Stop reading & go ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    ^^^^^well said.