1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Crazy Alaskan MTBer

... and if we just ... 2005 Giant Rincon, yay, or nae

So on my local C.List is a 2005 or 2006 giant rincon, all stock parts with a trek Speedo. He posted it for $200 and I offered $150. I figure I can go ahead and upgrade if/when things breack, but I'm not ging to be beating the heck outta it, it'll be a commuter and trail bike. I'm going to upgrade next year when I have more time and money. So my main question is, is it worth it? What are your guyses opinions of this bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Read the info at the top of this page. Look on bike blue book for prices and on bikepedia .We need more info on the bike and its condition to tell you anything worth while.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Good job! yay

Quote Originally Posted by L.t. View Post
    So on my local C.List is a 2005 or 2006 giant rincon, all stock parts with a trek Speedo. He posted it for $200 and I offered $150. I figure I can go ahead and upgrade if/when things breack, but I'm not ging to be beating the heck outta it, it'll be a commuter and trail bike. I'm going to upgrade next year when I have more time and money. So my main question is, is it worth it? What are your guyses opinions of this bike?
    There are a few reviews here on the Rincon.
    I bought it around 2006-2007 and I wrote a review here in 2011. Re the review, at the time I had the seat clamp back to front, that's why the seatpost was sliding.
    The bike is still in my posession. I changed the old dart with a rigid Mosso (that I managed to break, now i have another dart on it) and honestly this bike is really awesome for the price.
    It still has the original derailleurs, sometimes the original wheels, the original shifter/brake lever for rear and a new one for the front. I believe that the new bikes (I got an entry-level Trek and an entry-level Malvern Star last year for my friends) are not the same quality.
    I now use this bike for commuting but I used it plenty at the You Yangs, especially as a 69er.
    Anyhow.
    For this kind of money I do not believe you can get a better bike.
    The frame will last you a lifetime.
    The geometry is pretty good.
    The wheels and components, while not light, are pretty sturdy.
    The thing I would change on this bike is the dart fork (with a rigid and a 29er front wheel). Do not try to replace with suntour (at least not he XCM V3) as they are worse than the dart.
    The bottom line: get it and ride it like you stole it! It is highly unlikely to break: the components are pretty bombproof and it should have lifetime warranty on the frame.
    Ride on!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I still have 2006 giant yukon and it still kicks ass
    JUST DO IT

Crazy Alaskan MTBer
    Judging from the pics ( there are several from multiple angles) its ingreat condition. It was mainly a city bike, but he says he took it on a few trails, but nothing rough. So this bike would be well suited to rough trails, and hard climbs? Because I want to be able to beat the heck outta it and keep on going. Hit some jumps here and there too, but nothin over a few feet. I'd definitely be willing to upgrade when I get some money next summer. I'll post a link soon.

Crazy Alaskan MTBer

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: 2005 Giant Rincon, yay, or nae

If the bike is good working order or requires a little work, the price is right. Get it while you can

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by L.t. View Post
    the only problem i see with this bike is the lack of disk brake mounts on the frame (for the rear wheel). which means you are stuck with rim brakes for all eternity (or until you sell it).
    if you are happy with that, get it.
    otherwise, don't.
    as i said before, don't worry about the bike's ability to take abuse. you will NOT be able to break the frame.

Crazy Alaskan MTBer
    I'm ok with no disks for this summer, but next year I plan on getting a better bike. Although, if I really like this one I might not. I'll jsut upgrade this. My parents (we live in Wasilla, the bikes in Anchorage, AMD they're going to be in town so they're grabbing it for me) are going to pick it up for me tomorrow. $150 if in ideal condition, could be less if there's any issues.