1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2008

2005 Cannondale Gemini 3000 vs 08 Giant Yukon FX

Which one of these would be a better bike for trails and jumps etc. Nothing huge yet just to start and play with urban stuff like coming off ledges and playing on Virgina Creeper and IC King stuff. Pricing will be about the same for either bike. Thanks.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by 72RATCAMARO
    Which one of these would be a better bike for trails and jumps etc. Nothing huge yet just to start and play with urban stuff like coming off ledges and playing on Virgina Creeper and IC King stuff. Pricing will be about the same for either bike. Thanks.
    If the Gemini is in good shape, it will beat the Yukon hands down. The Yukon is an entry level full suspension bike oriented more toward XC (cross country), while the Gemini is a freeride bike designed to take a lot of abuse.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    2005 Cannondale Gemini 3000 Full Suspension Mtn. Bike

200 mm Marzocchi Super Pro Bomber Dual Crown Front Fork
    Manitou Swinger SPV 4-Way Coil Rear Shock
    Hayes 8 Inch Disc Brakes
    WTB Laser Saddle
    Mavic D321 Disc Rims w/ Maxxis Tires
    Upgraded Hollowtech Triple Crank For Increased Climbing Ability
    LX Deore Front Derailleur
    XT Deore Rear Derailleur
    9 Speed Rear Cog
    FUNN Handle Bar
    Time clipless pedals

General Rabble-Rouser
    2005 Cannondale Gemini 3000 Full Suspension Mtn. Bike

200 mm Marzocchi Super Pro Bomber Dual Crown Front Fork
    Manitou Swinger SPV 4-Way Coil Rear Shock
    Hayes 8 Inch Disc Brakes
    WTB Laser Saddle
    Mavic D321 Disc Rims w/ Maxxis Tires
    Upgraded Hollowtech Triple Crank For Increased Climbing Ability
    LX Deore Front Derailleur
    XT Deore Rear Derailleur
    9 Speed Rear Cog
    FUNN Handle Bar
    Time clipless pedals

My GF rides a 2006 C'Dale Gemini. It's a solid bike with lots of potential to grow with. --IF you have enough downhill trails to use a bike with so much travel, because it's not the most efficient peddler out there for trail rides

The Yukon is a good choice if you want to casually razz around on buff trails and head to the corner store. Not a good choice for aggressive riding, or jumping

mtbr member
    May 2008
    well I want to do both. I want a bike I can ride to work and around town and jump off decent stuff probably about max 10 foot drop downs

General Rabble-Rouser
    well I want to do both. I want a bike I can ride to work and around town and jump off decent stuff probably about max 10 foot drop downs

They always want to do it all

The Gemini will get you around the trails with a little pushing, still tackle a lot more than you're going to do for a while in downhill, I like a hardtail for city riding, but again the C'dale will get the job done.

Why compare such different bikes?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    because the price is the same for either bike. I understand the giant is entry level and I will have to upgrade because I like to go bigger and bigger. I have already found the first jump I am going off and its about a 7 foot step down into flat grass so I dont want something that will break.

General Rabble-Rouser
    because the price is the same for either bike. I understand the giant is entry level and I will have to upgrade because I like to go bigger and bigger. I have already found the first jump I am going off and its about a 7 foot step down into flat grass so I dont want something that will break.

Get the C'dale. Sounds like a good price if it's near the yukon price, but if you can make sure you inspect it pretty closely

Brake pads, tires, drivetrain, all the welds for cracks, straight wheels etc

Happy hucking, but 7ft is big for a first jump

Ride the dream
    7ft onto FLAT!?

That will murder most DH frames.... You want a nice gentle slope down to land onto, going straight to flat will murder your frame (massive massive stresses).

I wouldnt start that big, but each to their own - but please dont condemn a bike to the scrapyard by trying to land to flat.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I rode all the time in school from the time I was 14 on a hardrock comp. I was clearing 25 stairs and landing on a second set of 3 stairs. I am not worried about the height of the jumps just dont want to bust anything. I am a car guy and dont know anything about inspecting a bike. But I figure for the price I am getting it for I can afford to have my LBS go over it for me.

With the stuff that is on the bike is it good like the wheels and gears etc I think he added it on but I dont know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    the Yukon Fx is AWESOME my gf has one the suspension is very plush, and the frame beefy but its only a 4 inch travel bike it can't do 7ft drops.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I agree on the Yukon I rode it and like it but I figure its just entry level components I am afraid it wont be able to handle me.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    So if I was going to spend 800 dollars on one of these two bikes which would be the way to go?