1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

2004 Specialized Enduro FSR

Hey guys. So im kinda of new to the world of mountain biking and i have been riding a lot at my local bike park. Anyways to make a long story short, I am looking to upgrade from my hardtail Diamondback response. So i was looking on my local craigslist and found a 2004 Specialized Enduro FSR that has full suspension and is in good shape. My question is that since it is a 2004, can you still get parts for the bike since it is 9 years old?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The 2004 Enduro is a 100mm travel (rear wheel) bike. In today's world, that is an XC bike, except the Enduro is built on the beefy side. The good news is that unlike many Specialized bikes, this one does not appear to have a proprietary shock or fork, so they can be replaced with standard stuff. The bearings or bushings in the frame should be able to be sourced either from Specialized or in the aftermarket.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You'll want to have it professionally inspected before buying it - the older FSRs were very prone to cracking, specially the chainstays, but also the main frames. From 1999 to 2004, I replaced 3 frames (99, 2000, and 2003), a couple seatstays, and probably 8 chainstays (mostly on the 2000, but at least a couple on the '03) under warranty. Great bike, super fun, but I don't know if I'd want one that wasn't under warrantee if I were planning to ride it hard.

mtbr member
    You can find parts for it but I would not jump it at a bike park. Use it for primarily XC type riding and you could be OK. Aluminum has a shelf life and 9 years is close to it. The stays are the week point and could go very quickly.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.