1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

2004 Specialized Big Hit Spec

So i been reading reviews on this bike and want to know what you think.
    a guy is selling a size small for 380 dollars and i been dying for a nice mtb for years but cant afford a really good one and this price seems good.
    I know full suspension is bad for climbing and such.
    please inform me on the bike,
    does it have suspension lockouts?
    and what do i look for.
    Much appreciated

mtbr member
    The Big Hit is a Downhill bike. not 100% sure if it has lockout, but you will not be happy with it for climbing at all! Also, for $380, that tells me it may be quite old and will probably require some work and extra $$$ put into it. I would look for more of a cross country bike. the big hit is a good entry level downhill bike. that's my 2 cents. good luck!
    Vassago VerHauen
    Ibis Ripley.

T.W.O
    Unless your below 5"7 AND you plan on ripping downhill sections only, get a XC oriented bike.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

I hate that name.
    I remember the Big Hit Spec. It was different from all other Big Hits with its single pivot suspension. It was a budget full suspension bike, retailed for under $1k iirc. Was basically like a fs P2. The rear shock was junk, and combined with the single pivot, must have made the bike pedal worse than bad. Definitely not what I would consider a "nice" bike.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.